Solved rsh

Don't worry about it. I'm almost 20 years further than you and I'm still learning new things.

There's typically only a few options you need know for 90% of the time. Nobody knows all options and what they do from the top of their head. That's what man pages are for.
Yeah, as a beginner it's probably best to start with a high quality tutorial that goes through all the steps. Luckily FreeBSD is Unix so many guides for all kinds of other Unix-OSes work with minor or no changes.

There is one problem though. Eventhough rcp and rsh were replaced by scp and ssh, you can not use any of them in a cisco router for example. Of course and there are workarounds such as expect and sshpass but still rsh and rcp were by far faster, better and simpler to use in a secured LAN. One can argue about security and all that in your own secured and controlled LAN but still, it is too much security and CPU overload for absolutely nothing to gain for environments that are already secured. There should have been an optional package to be able to still use the old native rcp and rsh.

Eventhough scp and ssh were replaced by rcp and rsh
It's the other way around.

you can not use any of them in a cisco router for example.
Only on equipment that should have been decommissioned a long time ago. Cisco has supported SSH for quite some time now.

It's the other way around.

Only on equipment that should have been decommissioned a long time ago. Cisco has supported SSH for quite some time now.

Yes ty it was the other way, already edited and corrected.

It supported it for many years but all those years never fully like in any other *nix box. For example, how do you add a trusted key in all cisco devices to directly execute and receive a command? Unless they have changed something the past couple of years, you can't do it without extra apps. It is something you could do with rsh.

For example, how do you add a trusted key in all cisco devices to directly execute and receive a command? Unless they have changed something the past couple of years, you can't do it without extra apps.

Still, so much trouble and CPU overhead for nothing in a secured network.
A lot of high profile hacks have been done by insiders. You have a lot more to fear from your own employees. They don't need to find a way inside, they're already there.

A lot of high profile hacks have been done by insiders. You have a lot more to fear from your own employees. They don't need to find a way inside, they're already there.
Of course and they have. I am well aware of that "inside" danger story. There are quite a few other examples also of very trustworthy people as I am sure you know already. This is actually the majority of them. So basicaly what you say by "they're already there" is "trust no one"? Of course and they are not here. If we open such a discution though, it will no longer be a network convertation but rather a philosophical and humanitarian one. :)

Just for the record, after enabling a ssh in a modern average cisco router (ISR4331/K9) and simply logging in using ssh with RSA 2048 key, the CPU jumped to 30%!!! That is without executing any commands at all, just logging in. Doing the same exactly thing but using rsh from a VERY trusted IP of course, it didn't even show any CPU usage at all (same router). For me, the importance of rsh and rcp for such limited CPU devices is still important.

Back