Solved rsh

What about password?

I tried "me:mypassword@myserver" "ls -al;pwd" but had to enter password...
You can use SSH for everything, seriously!
- remote shell
- execute commands remotely (simply add the command as parameter at the end)
- transfer files (scp)
- synchronize directories (rsync)
- pipe local output to remote machine and remote output to local machine AND remote output to another remote machine:
Bash:
ls localdir | ssh remotehost1 "cat | sort > /tmp/remotefile"
ssh remotehost1 "ls" | sort > /tmp/localfile
zfs send -Ri zroot@snapshot | ssh remotehost1 "zfs receive zrootbackup"
ssh remotehost1 "ls" | ssh remotehost2 "cat | sort"
- create a secure TCP or UDP tunnel (-R and -L switches)
- use the remote host as a SOCKS proxy (-D switch)

Also, you can login with:

So you're definitely not bound to enter a password if you don't want to.

And now, hold on to your hat! My favorite: You can use SSH to mount a remote file system. It's done via sysutils/fusefs-sshfs.

Reverse sshfs is even nicer :) I have my data box continually look for me and reverse sshfs mount itself when or wherever I 'appear', whilst all inbound ssh into that data box is blocked.
Yeah, for sure anything imaginable can be done with SSH.
If you configure ssh and use ssh-agent, then the password will only be asked once.
Is the ssh-agent not for remembering key passwords only? If you login via password authentication the ssh-agent will not store this password.

cli reddit for instance ...
ssh redditbox.us
and/or
ssh sdf.org (have to register for that one).

I have a sub 20MB linux boot that boots to cli/tmux/mc net connected and along with ssh that is quite functional. Within that I have calcurse for calendar, sc-im for spreadsheet, mc serves as file manager and text editor, curl wttr.in/<your town> for local weather ...etc. add cmus for music to that and for poorer areas (low spec PC's/hardware) that are perhaps using dialup (sdf) and its usable. Or for hard of sight ... as textual based is a lot more void of adverts than X/gui.

cli reddit for instance ...
ssh redditbox.us
and/or
ssh sdf.org (have to register for that one).

I have a sub 20MB linux boot that boots to cli/tmux/mc net connected and along with ssh that is quite functional. Within that I have calcurse for calendar, sc-im for spreadsheet, mc serves as file manager and text editor, curl wttr.in/<your town> for local weather ...etc. add cmus for music to that and for poorer areas (low spec PC's/hardware) that are perhaps using dialup (sdf) and its usable. Or for hard of sight ... as textual based is a lot more void of adverts than X/gui.
That's inspiring!
You can also use lynx/links for browser, pine for email etc. I am also a heavy user of midnight commander - by far the best file manager around.
Unfortunately the web is severely broken globally. Most sites are completely dependent on javascript and graphical rendering, web 2.0. They don't know how to display 20 f*****g lines of text and transmit the actual information in 1k. No, they have to download 15 javascript frameworks and 25 MB of CSS before the page can be rendered. Bah.

No, they have to download 15 javascript frameworks and 25 MB of CSS before the page can be rendered. Bah.

Well, that's progress for you :).

The IT industry has become a job creation program by adding layer after layer of complexity.

BTW I'm also a big fan of midnight commander, but I have issues with it on FreeBSD.

You can use SSH for everything, seriously!
- remote shell
- execute commands remotely (simply add the command as parameter at the end)
- transfer files (scp)
- synchronize directories (rsync)
- pipe local output to remote machine and remote output to local machine AND remote output to another remote machine:
Bash:
ls localdir | ssh remotehost1 "cat | sort > /tmp/remotefile"
ssh remotehost1 "ls" | sort > /tmp/localfile
zfs send -Ri zroot@snapshot | ssh remotehost1 "zfs receive zrootbackup"
ssh remotehost1 "ls" | ssh remotehost2 "cat | sort"
- create a secure TCP or UDP tunnel (-R and -L switches)
- use the remote host as a SOCKS proxy (-D switch)

Also, you can login with:
h
So you're definitely not bound to enter a password if you don't want to.

And now, hold on to your hat! My favorite: You can use SSH to mount a remote file system. It's done via sysutils/fusefs-sshfs.

Perhaps you could write a howto on the things you can do with ssh since I'm blissfully unaware of most of these capabilities.

Well, that's progress for you :).

The IT industry has become a job creation program by adding layer after layer of complexity.

BTW I'm also a big fan of midnight commander, but I have issues with it on FreeBSD.
What issues? Post a question and we'll try to help.

I don't mean to offend you but... 2500+ messages on a FreeBSD forum yet you haven't yet tackled password-less ssh access? That baffles me.

I make lots of mistakes and spend lots of time trying follow old guides which no longer work. There's a helluva lot to learn with FreeBSD and I often think I'm just scratching the surface. One 'problem' with FreeBSD is that almost every command seems to have hundreds of options... just look at something like ifconfig() which we all use and see what you can do with it. It would take a lot more than a couple of days, if not months, to master it, or even find out if it is the suitable command for something you want achieve.

There's a helluva lot to learn with FreeBSD and I often think I'm just scratching the surface.
Don't worry about it. I'm almost 20 years further than you and I'm still learning new things.

One 'problem' with FreeBSD is that almost every command seems to have hundreds of options... just look at something like ifconfig() which we all use and see what you can do with it. It would take a lot more than a couple of days, if not months, to master it, or even find out if it is the suitable command for something you want achieve.
There's typically only a few options you need know for 90% of the time. Nobody knows all options and what they do from the top of their head. That's what man pages are for.

Back