Solved Upgrade Jail: Sendmail Not Calling Procmail

I need a little sendmail help without the snarky "don't use sendmail" responses, please. :)

I went through and "pkg upgrade" my jails, including the one that handles my incoming/outgoing mail. I have sendmail configured to hand the messages to procmail for further processing; specifically procmail just hands them to spamassassin. Well, post-update, sendmail seems to be bypassing procmail for some reason. There are no error messages in the log files that would indicate why it's happening; but procmail is being ignored.

Code:
riddler# grep procmail *
riddler.cf:#####  $Id: local_procmail.m4,v 8.23 2013-11-22 20:51:11 ca Exp $  #####
riddler.cf:#####  $Id: procmail.m4,v 8.23 2013-11-22 20:51:14 ca Exp $  #####
riddler.cf:Mprocmail,    P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=DFMSPhnu9, S=EnvFromSMTP/HdrFromSMTP, R=EnvToSMTP/HdrFromSMTP,
riddler.cf:        A=procmail -Y -m $h $f $u
riddler.cf:Mlocal,        P=/usr/local/bin/procmail, F=lsDFMAw5:/|@qSPfhn9, S=EnvFromL/HdrFromL, R=EnvToL/HdrToL,
riddler.cf:        A=procmail -Y -a $h -d $u
riddler.mc:FEATURE(local_procmail)dnl
riddler.mc:MAILER(procmail)dnl
riddler# ls -la /usr/local/bin/procmail  
-rwsr-sr-x  1 root  mail  106536 Feb  7 20:55 /usr/local/bin/procmail*
riddler# ls -la ~jvp/.procmailrc
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jvp  users  4762 Aug  2  2018 /home/jvp/.procmailrc*

The user in this case is "jvp" as shown; and the .procmailrc is there. The reference to procmail is in the .cf file in /etc/mail as well. Uhhhh... I'm kinda lost here. I bet it's something silly, simple, and stupid. But I'll be damed if I can figure out what.

Helllllp?

Rant time: Whomever did the sendmail 8.15.2 package needs to have their insides torn out with a spoon. Whatever they/he/she did, sendmail is just completely ignoring the CF files in /etc/mail for some reason. Nothing is being read and I'm now a WIDE OPEN FRICKEN RELAY!

I'm going to rain on your parade, sendmail(8) is not a package. It's part of the base OS.

No you're not.

Code:
# pkg search sendmail | grep Reliable
sendmail+tls+sasl2-8.15.2_14   Reliable, highly configurable mail transfer agent with utilities

Whomever put this package together needs ... help. A lot of it.

Sure, but also /usr/sbin/sendmail (part of the base OS). And it's really easy to confuse it with /usr/local/sbin/sendmail (mail/sendmail).

Sure, but also /usr/sbin/sendmail (part of the base OS). And it's really easy to confuse it with /usr/local/sbin/sendmail (mail/sendmail).

I understand that, and it's not what I'm referencing. I'm specifically calling out the package for sendmail, not the base OS install one.

The base OS one doesn't support the security that's required for SSL, etc. That's why I need the packaged version. And that version is screwed up; it's not reading ANY of the CF files in /etc/mail at all.

Afaik mail/procmail needs a ~/.forward file. Does it exist?

It doesn't, assuming the CF file in /etc/mail is calling it, which it is. Sendmail was ignoring the CF files; apparently I needed to do yet another
make all install to get the CF files all condensed into the /etc/mail/sendmail.cf.

God that's frustrating. Might be helpful to call that out in the post part of the package install along with all of the other stuff that's called out (like editing /etc/mail/mailer.conf, et al).

Back