UFS Slice and partition was moved to another disk

Hi!

I have a not very clear and funny situation. During system upgrade from 8.3 to 9.3 my raid controller become crazy and system have change partition numeration from ad0 to ada0. Most interesting is - partition and slice table was moved to another physical disk. Now partition table is placed on one disc (ada1), but partitions themselves are stored on the another disk (ada0). Wherein disk ada0 has no partition table, but have partition content.

Can you please tell me what can I do to correct the situation?

During system upgrade from 8.3 to 9.3 my raid controller become crazy and system have change partition numeration from ad0 to ada0.
It had nothing to do with your controller.

Most interesting is - partition and slice table was moved to another physical disk. Now partition table is placed on one disc (ada1), but partitions themselves are stored on the another disk (ada0).
That would be impossible and could never happen regardless of how "crazy" your controller was.

Can you please tell me what can I do to correct the situation?
Wipe the system and start fresh with a supported version, 9.3 has been End-of-Life since December 2016.

It had nothing to do with your controller.

I wrote about it only to complete the picture, because I did not understand the reason.

I had two mirrors with two disks in each on Promize FastTrack s150 TX4 controller. I disassembled the raids and try to boot from the disk directly without any mirrors.

That would be impossible and could never happen regardless of how "crazy" your controller was.

I thought so too, but so it is. :-(

Wipe the system and start fresh with a supported version, 9.3 has been End-of-Life since December 2016.

This is logical and the first thing that occurred to me. But I have a second server in a remote data center with a different hardware configuration, but with the same software versions. The first server for me as the first verification attempt to update. Therefore, I want to make upgrades consistently: 8 -> 9 -> 10 -> 11 -> 12.

The first system disk (36GB) has no visible partitions when booting. But when I connect the second disk (2TB), the boot goes smoothly, despite the fact that there is no system on the second disk - only archive data. The system boots only when both disks are connected.

Unfortunately, in this whole situation there is something that I lose sight of and do not understand.

Back