Closed ClarityOS - A freeBSD fork

Status
Not open for further replies.
logo.png

ClarityOS is an operating system that is elegant, easy to use, secure, and cross-platform. Created by two twitter friends. ClarityOS is aimed at creating an environment for both everyday users and developers. Support for shells like bash, zsh, pwsh, and other popular shells are all options for addition on your OS. ClarityOS' state of the art repository grows larger every day, made by the community for the community! ClarityOS plans to be the best operating system for anyone to use freely. Our goal is to make BSD as open and customizable as possible, while keeping it easy, simple and accessible to as many people as possible!

screen.png

Available on:
https://www.clarityos.net/ or https://ipv6.clarityos.pro/
Check us out!

costumizable... wait for download to test it.
That's up to the developer. It's the plan. Not sure will it be right from the start. I just keep the server and I actually know nothing about this. I probably should get the developer to register and answer your questions

ClarityOS' state of the art repository grows larger every day, made by the community for the community!

Who are these people and why should I trust them for my 3rd party programs? Are you using pkg or your own system like .pbi?

Your forum shows 3 members, the two lead people are referenced by their Twitter account, your download link doesn't seem to be working and your GitHub page only has wallpapers and related graphics.

I probably should get the developer to register and answer your questions
That would probably a great idea. At this point, it looks like empty hype. All the goals it purports to have (multiple shells, configurable, secure, growing repository, ...) are already present in the various *BSDs. I fear this is just a few developers having fun learning how to package a OS, and as a side effect further fracturing the installed base. How do they expect to support this OS? Do they have support forums, mailing lists, a large group of volunteers? At this point, if a person installs this, and comes here to the FreeBSD forum with questions, they won't get help, so they are actually worse off than if they had installed FreeBSD.

Nobody should be discouraged from pursuing their hobby or passion. It can be a good learning experience for those involved with it. Perhaps there is a different goal in mind.

Here are just four operating systems that have been developed for personal interests that I can name quickly. The first in Common Lisp and still updated; the second based on Plan 9 and still updated; the third was forked from OpenBSD and as I understand it is dead; the last is the Linux kernel with Plan 9 user space and not updated since 2009.

Mezzano, an operating system written in Common Lisp
Jehanne Operating System
Bitrig
Glendix Bringing the beauty of Plan9 to Linux

Each developer had their own reasons for their pursuit. Each of the above lists what their goals are for the creation of their operating system, and have the source available for download. Without the source available for ClarityOS, I would not expect a large user base to download and install it.

• Thanks
Reactions: pet
Who are these people and why should I trust them for my 3rd party programs? Are you using pkg or your own system like .pbi?

Your forum shows 3 members, the two lead people are referenced by their Twitter account, your download link doesn't seem to be working and your GitHub page only has wallpapers and related graphics.

that's what developer told me to put, so there are no other people working on packages, currently they're doing everything solo. again i just keep the server up. and yeah, they plan on actually porting pacman to freebsd and changing it's name so it won't be "pacman".
download link is disabled until developer deploys it. and i've already told them to push what they have done to git, they said they will, not sure why it isn't done yet...

If something calls itself ”secure“ without further explanation, I find that rather suspicious and tend not to trust it.

Apart from that, it is strange and confusing that the web site does not mention FreeBSD at all, let alone explaining on which FreeBSD version it is based, and if and how the code base differs from FreeBSD.
regarding this, i can't provide more info without the dev giving it to me. i told them to register so maybe they will reply better to everyone's questions.

at this point, we don't really care about the amount of downloads or users. this is pretty much a passion project for them. i'm here just to set up the mirrors and stuff when it's ready to deploy.

No forks for me please :) I'll stick with my old and trusty FreeBSD! :beer:
But who knows, maybe one day ClarityOS will be the best OS on the planet.
Good luck guys!

• Thanks
Reactions: pet
So they now have their package manager up on their github repo. It's pacman - they just renamed all instances of pacman to pony and removed copyright notices... classy! What a bunch of clowns.

Code:
~/tmp $ diff -uEiZ pacman/src/util/cleanupdelta.c pony/src/util/cleanupdelta.c
--- pacman/src/util/cleanupdelta.c    2019-01-22 21:51:56.252613369 +0100
+++ pony/src/util/cleanupdelta.c    2019-01-22 21:52:38.817629200 +0100
@@ -1,7 +1,6 @@
 /*
  *  cleanupdelta.c : return list of unused delta in a given sync database
- *  Copyright (c) 2011-2018 Pacman Development Team <pacman-dev@archlinux.org>
  *  This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
  *  it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
@@ -85,10 +84,10 @@

static void usage(void)
 {
-    fprintf(stderr, "cleanupdelta (pacman) v" PACKAGE_VERSION "\n\n"
+    fprintf(stderr, "cleanupdelta (pony) v" PACKAGE_VERSION "\n\n"
             "Returns a list of unused delta in a given sync database.\n\n"
             "Usage: cleanupdelta [options]\n\n"
-            "  -b <pacman db>       core extra ... : check the listed sync databases\n");
+            "  -b <pony db>       core extra ... : check the listed sync databases\n");
     exit(1);
 }

I had no idea they're removing the copyright notices? I mean I never checked, because I never expected them to do so, but I guess it's my fault too for not checking before i advertise something. Again. I just keep their website up and test things up, they're doing everything else. I really have nothing to do with the OS itself...

edit:
ll3mDSA.png

edit 2: the proper copyright notices should be back now... I'm really sorry for their actions

Something is unusual about this project IMO. Why someone who is maintaining the server and has nothing with the project registered on FreeBSD Forum and answering questions about project in which he is not involved? Or someone just playing a game?
they want to work only on the system itself, while, i'm kinda here for everything else if it makes sense? no one's playing games here. but i'll have to admit, it seems like the dev took a bite they cannot chew at the moment. I agree, they're the ones who should post in here, but I cannot convince them to register? So I, the sysadmin will be here unless they decide to come too.

I never said I'm not involved. Tho, I'm involved only to keep the main site and the forums up. They're currently the only one working on the system itself. does this make sense?

A tiny bit of clarity [sic] from the staff: the FreeBSD Forums deal with FreeBSD, and FreeBSD alone. As a matter of common courtesy we provide links to forums and/or support pages and/or mailing lists for FreeBSD forks and derivatives -- though in all fairness, this is also meant to keep the FreeBSD Forums focused on FreeBSD. I will allow you to introduce your fork/derivative here for a day or two, but getting your own forums and support infrastructure up and running is really the way to go. We will happily link to them, but we will not provide you with a forum for ClarityOS on the FreeBSD Forums.

All of this forking work could've been put into an API/ABI-promised xorg in base - like OpenBSD. Then these pointless 'forks' would have no reason to exist.

Don't know if it is serious, funny, pathetic or sad

They threw pet under the bus IMO.

they want to work only on the system itself, while, i'm kinda here for everything else if it makes sense? no one's playing games here. but i'll have to admit, it seems like the dev took a bite they cannot chew at the moment. I agree, they're the ones who should post in here, but I cannot convince them to register? So I, the sysadmin will be here unless they decide to come too.

Their Dev, sylveonbxy, registered here yesterday and didn't post. I saw their name as Latest member when they joined and looked at their Profile. I can't bring up their Profile page now but their name comes up in the search field.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back