Solved bsdinstall failure

Bonjour guys,

I installed Freebsd 12 RELEASE a month ago and I remember that twice bsdinstall failed and the PC reboot during "Figure 2.29. Extracting Distribution Files". But it finally worked and then I was able to discover this OS.

Because I am all about discovering new things, I am now trying to install STABLE and the same issue sometimes occurs and when it does not, bsdinstall fails here "Figure 2.36. Choose IPv4 DHCP Configuration":
i choose "Yes" then the screen shows "acquiring DHCP lease..." but nothing comes after that, and i waited almost a hour. I tried again to install and the same thing happened.

I know that DHCP is available, and i didn't find anything on the web about those two issue. Also i checked the image's sum.

About the first issue (reboot while Extracting Distribution Files), I was wondering if the hardware is the problem : MB asus b150 pro gaming / intel i5-7600 / WD120G ssd with two linux OS already present.

May somebody help?

Thank you.

Fabien

Edit: I tried to re-install RELEASE :

1/ bsdinstall fail most of time during extracting distribution ports files, so i choosed to not install them (what did last month) and the install continue.

2/ acquiring DHCP worked fine and I could finish the install, so I only have this issue with STABLE.

Even no idea why the install of release fails during extracting distribution ports files?

:'‑(

Even no idea why the install of release fails during extracting distribution ports files?
Only the obvious, broken/bad memory stick, broken/bad burned CD/DVD, broken/bad downloaded image.
bsdinstall fail most of time during extracting distribution ports files, so i choosed to not install them (what did last month) and the install continue.
You're not going to need it. I would recommend using packages any way and installing packages does not require a ports tree. But besides that, that ports tree is already old and needs to be updated before use. So you might as well skip the installation and use portsnap(8) or svnlite(1) to get a fresh and up to date ports tree.

I think you are right about the bad memory stick, it is giving a hard time.

Ok, i didn't know that the ports tree during installation isn't the same we get with portsnap.

I would prefer to stick with binaries but I think FreeCAD isn't available.

Sorry to insist, any idea about why bsdinstall fails at "acquiring DHCP lease..."

Tank you! :)

Ok, i didn't know that the ports tree during installation isn't the same we get with portsnap.
Yeah, same with the packages that are on the CD/DVD. They're created when the -RELEASE comes out and installation images are never updated after that. So you're basically always looking at a "frozen" snapshot in this respect.

I would prefer to stick with binaries but I think FreeCAD isn't available.
You may be right about that. The port appears to have been deprecated as it depends on QT4, which will be removed soon because it's EoL. Which also means the port will be removed soon too (unless some intrepid soul finds a way to build it with QT5).

cad/freecad
Code:
DEPRECATED: Qt4 has been EOL since december 2015
EXPIRATION DATE: 2019-03-15

Bonjour guys,

I installed Freebsd 12 RELEASE a month ago and I remember that twice bsdinstall failed and the PC reboot during "Figure 2.29. Extracting Distribution Files". But it finally worked and then I was able to discover this OS.

Because I am all about discovering new things, I am now trying to install STABLE and the same issue sometimes occurs and when it does not, bsdinstall fails here "Figure 2.36. Choose IPv4 DHCP Configuration":
i choose "Yes" then the screen shows "acquiring DHCP lease..." but nothing comes after that, and i waited almost a hour. I tried again to install and the same thing happened.

I know that DHCP is available, and i didn't find anything on the web about those two issue. Also i checked the image's sum.

About the first issue (reboot while Extracting Distribution Files), I was wondering if the hardware is the problem : MB asus b150 pro gaming / intel i5-7600 / WD120G ssd with two linux OS already present.

May somebody help?

Thank you.

Fabien

Edit: I tried to re-install RELEASE :

1/ bsdinstall fail most of time during extracting distribution ports files, so i choosed to not install them (what did last month) and the install continue.

2/ acquiring DHCP worked fine and I could finish the install, so I only have this issue with STABLE.

sometimes drivers take time to active i.e.see the network. you can rescan again several time.

I use belkin n300 dongle to get wifi, later after install, I try to handle hardware separately.

I all cases, FreeBSD has a far much better networking than Linux, however it may right now look like, surely. Old but good, like a very good french wine, Fabien.

Fabien,

Just so you know, I ran into this exact same problem. What I had to do was when the install dialog box comes up the first time, drop to the prompt. Make you the nic is up, then run dhclient for that nic. It will usually work from there. Then exit, and it will take you back to the install dialog. From there you can do the install. But, when you get to the part about using DHCP, choose No. You can still set up IPv4 and IPv6.

That's what I had to do anyway.

Could be anything, but it's probably your router which isn't available or it doesn't provide DHCP services.

I am lucky, the router is fine, i have no issue with the other OS I use.

Yeah, same with the packages that are on the CD/DVD. They're created when the -RELEASE comes out and installation images are never updated after that. So you're basically always looking at a "frozen" snapshot in this respect.

You may be right about that. The port appears to have been deprecated as it depends on QT4, which will be removed soon because it's EoL. Which also means the port will be removed soon too (unless some intrepid soul finds a way to build it with QT5).

cad/freecad
Code:
DEPRECATED: Qt4 has been EOL since december 2015
EXPIRATION DATE: 2019-03-15

Thank you, so I have to hurry. By the way I wasn't to compile it, some issue with perl5 and help2man. We will hopefully fix this later :)

sometimes drivers take time to active i.e.see the network. you can rescan again several time.

I use belkin n300 dongle to get wifi, later after install, I try to handle hardware separately.

I all cases, FreeBSD has a far much better networking than Linux, however it may right now look like, surely. Old but good, like a very good french wine, Fabien.

You are certainly right about the "better networking than Linux", but I am afraid I do not know enough about Unix to understand why? So please, teach me, or give me a link to some documentation I can study, I am willing to learn.:p

Old but good, this is exactly why I am trying to move from ArchLinux to *BSD. :beer::beer::beer:

Fabien,

Just so you know, I ran into this exact same problem. What I had to do was when the install dialog box comes up the first time, drop to the prompt. Make you the nic is up, then run dhclient for that nic. It will usually work from there. Then exit, and it will take you back to the install dialog. From there you can do the install. But, when you get to the part about using DHCP, choose No. You can still set up IPv4 and IPv6.

Thank you very much, I will try that right now!!

Fabien,

This fix my problem, I also add ifconfig_em0="DHCP" in /etc/rc.conf.

Back