Corsair keyboard RGB doesnt work during install

Hi guys I have done some research about usb_quirk and I never understood if I am able to run it on then boot of my ISO install?

That's my only keyboard and my Motherboard doesn't have a PS/2 connector and I really want to use FreeBSD as my main OS .

Any tips?! Tricks?!

It's a Corsair RGB strafe abnt2 version

Last edited by a moderator:
USB keyboards work out of the box, but about led and stuff I suppose that would depends of Corsair supporting them on FreeBSD if they need OS support for something.

I don't know what happens rigoletto@ because when I try to press any button of my keyboard the never gets any letter just like things like SPACE or ``` but nothing that is currently in my keyboard.

I had problems under FreeBSD with a Corsair Strafe mechanical keyboard (non RGB). The problem is that FreeBSD doesn't support keyboards with NKRO and tries to apply a quirk in order to disable the feature during boot. Thus, if your keyboard supports disabling NKRO it will work.

Right honorable OP, a splendid keyboard you have. May I be so bold as to make a solitary request. Routing onward, when you find the solution to your keyboard puzzle, can you post the operating requirements that enable you to move forward.

I had problems under FreeBSD with a Corsair Strafe mechanical keyboard (non RGB). The problem is that FreeBSD doesn't support keyboards with NKRO and tries to apply a quirk in order to disable the feature during boot. Thus, if your keyboard supports disabling NKRO it will work.

The Corsair Strafe is notoriously bad with everything that is not a plain Windows system. I had one of these on a KMB switch for a short while - it never worked correctly (Windows / Linux dual boot machine and a second Linux machine). The manufacturer did not give a damn. By the way: "Strafe" means "punishment" in German - so you can't complain the vendor did not warn you.

An Asus ROK Sagaris GK1100 works a lot better for me (RGB, Cherry Blue switches). If somebody is truly interested to get that keyboard, I will be happy to connect mine to one of my FreeBSD boxes to verify it works as expected. The Asus also is a lot cheaper than the Corsair Strafe.

RGB options for the ROK Sagaris can be chosen through Fn key combinations. Programming the keys should be possible with a Windows software (persistent), but I never used that - I found a Fn key option out of the box that works well for me.

... By the way: "Strafe" means "punishment" in German ...
I can see why :/

The Corsair Strafe is notoriously bad with everything that is not a plain Windows system.
The following systems are a non comprehensive listing of my experiences with the unit so far:
  • DragonflyBSD > semi-works
  • FreeBSD > semi-works
  • Linux > works
  • NetBSD > doesn't work
  • OmniosCE > doesn't work
  • OpenBSD > works
  • Windows > works
*works = works as advertised
*semi-works = works without NKRO capabilities, and a debug LED blinks constantly to indicate that the unit is in BIOS mode
*doesn't work = the system doesn't register any keystrokes

Personally, i could't care less about Christmas lights, NKRO, macros, etc, but it is good to know that the Asus ROK Sagaris GK1100 works under FreeBSD.

Hopefully, people planing to deploy FreeBSD as a workstation have a bit more info regarding the Corsair Strafe.

My Corsair started working when I changed the mode of operation. Mine has a switch at the top which allows me to switch into legacy mode. Consult the manual that comes with your keyboard, you might have one also.

My Corsair started working when I changed the mode of operation. Mine has a switch at the top which allows me to switch into legacy mode. Consult the manual that comes with your keyboard, you might have one also.

Legacy Mode was selectable and required to have any function with the Corsair Strafe on my KMB switch. It did still not work reliably (lost key presses or blocking the switch key combination) and on top of that, a bright red LED (one of the status LEDs) kept blinking all the time.
Results may differ with other Corsair products, of course.

I experimented a similar issue with a Corsair Strafe RGB. I was not able to use the keyboard. The solution was to put the keyboard in BIOS mode. I assume that this setting is not the same for all models. For this model, I had to press F1 + Windows Lock Key simultaneously for 3 seconds (located at the right-top corner). And, yes, a debug LED blinks constantly. I found this solution on the Corsair forum.

FreeBSD is a system designed for professionals but it seems it's not fully compatible with professional devices, I mean keyboards with function keys.
I've got 2 corsair keyboards none of them work properly.
In one it only works in BIOS mode, I've a key combo to enable that in the keyboard, and in the other one it seems it auto enables de BIOS mode.
The problem is that in BIOS mode there are no multimedia keys like volume up/down/mute, basic functions that any other system recognizes but this one.
I'm still using it, you may ask why but I still don't know, maybe because I like the concept of it, but I've to keep the BIOS mode enabled and live with that.

I hope to see improvements on this in further releases.

FreeBSD is a system designed for professionals but it seems it's not fully compatible with professional devices, I mean keyboards with function keys.
I've got 2 corsair keyboards none of them work properly.
Way off the mark. Corsair has some great stuff, but this is home gaming system gear, not "professional" gear. And the keyboards (at least the Strafe) are designed poorly. Blaming FreeBSD for this is ridiculous.

Way off the mark. Corsair has some great stuff, but this is home gaming system gear, not "professional" gear. And the keyboards (at least the Strafe) are designed poorly. Blaming FreeBSD for this is ridiculous.
Sorry for that but it's considered gaming for the mechanical switches and anti ghosting electric circuits and not by it's basic volume up/down buttons that most keyboards have today.

I had a Corsair keyboard. I had to install some propiretary Windows crapware to get rid of the awful and garish rainbow color backlighting it was trying to inflict on me. I don't have a Corsair keyboard any more.

Typing this on a lovely and functional Logitech Carbon. I should try my fancier keyboards on Freebsd.

I had a Corsair keyboard. I had to install some propiretary Windows crapware to get rid of the awful and garish rainbow color backlighting it was trying to inflict on me. I don't have a Corsair keyboard any more.

Typing this on a lovely and functional Logitech Carbon. I should try my fancier keyboards on Freebsd.
Funny comment in deed :D
You know in most of Corsair keyboards if not in all there's a key to turn dim and off the lights don't you?
That key uses the internal software and no need system drivers for it to work.
I like mechanical keyboards and I know some people hate it very badly, it's a matter of each one preferences that I can't blame.
So the thing is that I will not sacrifice the comfort of using my keyboard just because the system is not compatible.
A system by it's own definition should support input peripherals like keyboards and mice, where are not in the 80's any more and Linux it's open source all the code is there and the solution is there.
I'm not telling to copy&paste the code, just check what may be missing and do it BSD way, right?
Sorry if you feel like I got rude with my words, it's not my intention.
Just sometimes the best way to work on a long lasting problem is to check how others got it resolved.

Back