What Is The Biggest Hurdle In Getting FreeBSD To Work On A Given Machine? :)

Yeah, for me it was Ubuntu (I know, typical). :) What got me frustrated were Repos and WINE and adding i386 as an Arch. :( I know the pain, but, once you learn the ropes, and have the right Hardware, *BSD and other Unix/Unix-like Operating Systems can be EXCELLENT. :D Also, I had a ton of Mountain Dew. :D

BunsenLabs usually works pretty well...and avoid ubuntu.

Someday, though, I'll get a Laptop running FreeBSD... SOMEday..... :\
For about five years, I was running FreeBSD on a Compaq laptop from 2007 or so. I have not had a need to have a laptop since that one quit working and I haven't felt the need to buy another to try it on. I do have two Dells on the floor next to me that I keep saying I'm going to put FreeBSD on. I'm just having trouble with motivation with everything going on at the moment.

Well, usually it's only Ubuntu that always supports my Hardware, sadly, but it's Linux, so I use it. :) Someday, though, I'll get a Laptop running FreeBSD... SOMEday..... :\

It is really not that hard. I got FreeBSD12 on a Dell XPS 9360 with *no* difficulty at all...and I'm not even that advanced of a user. I'm pretty sure I can get it on an XPS 9370 in similar fashion. In all, I now have a super mobile laptop that lasts 8 hours easily and a fully 3D desktop that is light and quick; no Windows 10 headaches, eventhough I can easily swap NVMe drives if hell freezes over and I absolutely have to run Windows (this hasn't happened yet in 2 years).

It is really not that hard. I got FreeBSD12 on a Dell XPS 9360 with *no* difficulty at all...and I'm not even that advanced of a user. I'm pretty sure I can get it on an XPS 9370 in similar fashion. In all, I now have a super mobile laptop that lasts 8 hours easily and a fully 3D desktop that is light and quick; no Windows 10 headaches, eventhough I can easily swap NVMe drives if hell freezes over and I absolutely have to run Windows (this hasn't happened yet in 2 years).

ditto. my dell XPS13 has been super super sweet. everything works well, apart from the SD card.

ditto. my dell XPS13 has been super super sweet. everything works well, apart from the SD card.

That SD card slot thing is a minor irritant to me as well. Seems to perhaps be an issue due to it being a PCIe device rather then whatever the heck it is otherwise in slightly older hardware. My old Yoga 2 Pro's SD card slot works without issue despite it being nearly the exact same hardware manufacturer/model, the difference being it is *not* a PCIe device. I have been looking through OpenBSD rtsx driver (works without issue on this XPS) for some clues and/or perhaps a port over to our side of the fence. In the mean time I'm keeping a BaseQi micro SDXC card adapter (specifically for XPS13) in my SD card slot, because reasons.
Recharging the laptop via USB Type-C is such a treat!

Yeah, but this Laptop is so new, not even Debian supports it out of the box (and Windows 10 fanboys will WEEP if I tell them that Windows 10 doesn't support this Laptop without needing an Internet connection just to download a WiFi Driver). Ubuntu has given me zero issues on pretty much any Laptop. But I wanna' use FreeBSD for more... Bleh, I've just gotta' find a Laptop that's on the supported Hardware list. :) Also, nice streak with not needing Windows! :D

So I took a FreeBSD 11.2 disc, put it in the Dell 1720 I mentioned earlier, and installed FreeBSD without issue in the few minutes all that takes. I didn't have time to go beyond the initial set up and I forgot I lent my router to someone, so I couldn't run updates or check wifi but I saw enough that I know it's now a usable laptop.

Someday, though, I'll get a Laptop running FreeBSD... SOMEday..... :\

Have I mentioned in the last 15 minutes that I have 4 vintage Thinkpads running FreeBSD and 2 OpenBSD? Or that I paid $50 each for the 2 T61's running FreeBSD? A Sony and Gateway/Acer clone running FreeBSD too, but who's counting...

I couldn't remember. I'm using my T400 with Intel Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM, 250 GB Western Digital Scorpio Black HDD @ 7200RPM and Harley Quinn keeps looking at me.

sensibleshoes.png

I notice most of the posts are about laptops - just to throw in a desktop, my 2010 (?) HP z800 workstation is flawless under FreeBSD, with the exception of the new video hardware I have thrown at it. It still works, I have just have no visible TTYs and have to type blind...another topic much discussed and can only be solved by more modern hardware...

I do not like laptops at all so the only one I have ( for work) is a windows laptop, because it's my company laptop and I have no choice...

And like an idiot, I just realized this is a laptop thread. Shame on me for viewing "new posts" and not paying attention to the section title...

(and Windows 10 fanboys will WEEP if I tell them that Windows 10 doesn't support this Laptop without needing an Internet connection just to download a WiFi Driver).

Not if you are a total nerd and slip-stream the WiFi (and others) drivers into a custom Windows 10 USB install image... ;)

Have I mentioned in the last 15 minutes that I have 4 vintage Thinkpads running FreeBSD and 2 OpenBSD?

I see your Thinkpads and raise you 1 Mac mini G4. The damned thing just won't die... and runs FreeBSD without complaint.

my 2010 (?) HP z800 workstation is flawless under FreeBSD, with the exception of the new video hardware I have thrown at it. It still works, I have just have no visible TTYs and have to type blind...

If you don't mind using an NVidia product & its proprietary drivers, you might want to look at a GeForce GT 1030. It is fanless, silent and as an added bonus, will cure you of your blindness!

Not if you are a total nerd and slip-stream the WiFi (and others) drivers into a custom Windows 10 USB install image... ;)

I see your Thinkpads and raise you 1 Mac mini G4. The damned thing just won't die... and runs FreeBSD without complaint.

If you don't mind using an NVidia product & its proprietary drivers, you might want to look at a GeForce GT 1030. It is fanless, silent and as an added bonus, will cure you of your blindness!

A Geforce 1030 is an Nvidia card, how is that diff than my Geforce 1050? [apologize, realize you didn't know this...] I am dropping Nvidia entirely and moving to the chip based Intel HD series. Nuff said, don't want to hijack the thread...

A Geforce 1030 is an Nvidia card, how is that diff than my Geforce 1050? [apologize, realize you didn't know this...] I am dropping Nvidia entirely and moving to the chip based Intel HD series. Nuff said, don't want to hijack the thread...

The keywords I meant to point out: "fanless GPU" that performs admirably in nearly all situations, without hassle and one or two fans less to make a nuisance of themselves, and would keep your formidable z800 very useful.

Without wandering too far off topic, and to give a b it of background, no Nvidia CPU (fan or not) works in my z800 at a TTY because the display immediately sleeps. Thread 63156 This is probably a combination of displayport, my monitor, and the video card. Moving away from Nvidia and using on-chip video from Intel. The z800 will be pulling headless duty as a ports-mgmt/poudriere build server. I don't game on this box so the Intel video will be fine because it supports 3440x1440. This way I can put these big Xeons and my 96GB to full use :cool:

Have I mentioned in the last 15 minutes that I have 4 vintage Thinkpads running FreeBSD and 2 OpenBSD? Or that I paid $50 each for the 2 T61's running FreeBSD? A Sony and Gateway/Acer clone running FreeBSD too, but who's counting...

I couldn't remember. I'm using my T400 with Intel Core2 Duo P8600 @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM, 250 GB Western Digital Scorpio Black HDD @ 7200RPM and Harley Quinn keeps looking at me.

View attachment 5460
That is seriously the BEST Desktop setup I have seen in AGES. :D Any skiddie looking at that would pee themselves in jealousy. :3 But man, you've got quite a digital lab there. :D It's likely "secure by default!" :D

Without wandering too far off topic, and to give a b it of background, no Nvidia CPU (fan or not) works in my z800 at a TTY because the display immediately sleeps. Thread 63156 This is probably a combination of displayport, my monitor, and the video card. Moving away from Nvidia and using on-chip video from Intel. The z800 will be pulling headless duty as a ports-mgmt/poudriere build server. I don't game on this box so the Intel video will be fine because it supports 3440x1440. This way I can put these big Xeons and my 96GB to full use :cool:
Yeah, even on Linux, Nvidia sometimes complain about falling off the Bus... Talk about throwing one under the bus! :(

Ah yes... :) Customizing a Windows 10 ISO... :D But I wonder about the legality of such a thing... Well, it's Microsoft, so I wouldn't be surprised. :\

I can't imagine why it would be "illegal", OEMs do it all the time, if I'm not mistaken the Enterprise ISO still provides the deployment tools to slipstream. You could do it the hard way and simply add the drivers separately from a USB stick during Win 10 Install. Installing Win7 / Win8 from USB3 is a different animal altogether, but can be slipstreamed too.

I can't imagine why it would be "illegal", OEMs do it all the time, if I'm not mistaken the Enterprise ISO still provides the deployment tools to slipstream. You could do it the hard way and simply add the drivers separately from a USB stick during Win 10 Install. Installing Win7 / Win8 from USB3 is a different animal altogether, but can be slipstreamed too.
Wow, that's me: missing the obvious... And I program in C and other Programming Languages. Missing the obvious is dangerous in this line of work. :(

Yeah, good point. :D

Case in point:
Take any average kid borne out of rape in, lets say, 2011 Raqqa, Syria. This child will only have known vicious degenerate levels of evil brutality levied upon his fellow human beings, for arbitrary reasons. Assuming he's survived a madrassa with only moderate levels of institutional child rape by the "teachers" (this is normal in madrassas, so much for piety). Give said child access to an AK-47, lifted from a weeks-old corpse, found randomly...or thru the investigative pursuit of "WTF is that awful smell?!". His fellow dead murderous criminal, with whom he identifies having never been exposed to Tonka trucks / video games / football / the playground (or in my case tropical beaches full of Argentinian, Colombian & Venezuelan girls' thong-squadrons -highly recommended-), is the only thing he knows. Indoctrinated in daesh-branded "everything is evil therefore kill everything, because reasons", you end up with a child who does not think twice about unloading a clip of AK-47 rounds at anything that moves.
This narrative is by no means rare. Lord Of The Flies incarnated.
Incidentally, this also exposes another aspect of the human experience: we tend towards herding, like our bovine compatriots.

The astute among you will have noticed similarities from decades ago, in one of the most brutal genocides know to mankind, in western & eastern Africa.

pkg broken

entropy at boot

kernel issues, for boot

btx

pkg missmatch

freebsd-update with upgrade not working

upgrade to >12 and >13 and broken system

(...)

Back