Is anybody running nvidia-driver and gnome 3.28 successfully?

I run poudriere locally, and as of last Sunday, gnome3 is down for the count on my main workstation, although it works in a virtualbox (with another video driver, obviously). Seems that 'gnome-shell' is failing to start up in gdm. I can run 'mate' though. I opened a bug (PR 231875) but I'm wondering if anybody else has had a success or failure with a similar setup.

Short story, I see, in /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log, the following - the display comes on but stays black...
Code:
Activating service name='org.a11y.Bus'
Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.Bus'
Activating service name='org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
Successfully activated service 'org.a11y.atspi.Registry'
SpiRegistry daemon is running with well-known name - org.a11y.atspi.Registry
libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
(gnome-shell:1062): Clutter-CRITICAL **: 10:40:52.570: Unable to initialize Clutter: Unable to initialize the Clutter backend: no available drivers found.
(gnome-shell:1062): mutter-WARNING **: 10:40:52.570: Unable to initialize Clutter.
gnome-session-binary[1048]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1

(gnome-shell:1077): Clutter-CRITICAL **: 10:40:54.116: Unable to initialize Clutter: Unable to initialize the Clutter backend: no available drivers found.

(gnome-shell:1077): mutter-WARNING **: 10:40:54.116: Unable to initialize Clutter.

gnome-session-binary[1048]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' exited with code 1

gnome-session-binary[1048]: WARNING: App 'org.gnome.Shell.desktop' respawning too quickly

Unable to init server: Could not connect to 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

** (gnome-session-failed:1084): WARNING **: 10:40:54.446: Cannot open display:

I have the same problem. Just like OP, I use the newes nVidia driver and GNOME 3.28 and get the same error message. When attempting to start GDM, only a black screen appears (no cursors or anything). Then, if I do startx (which executes without problems) and then gnome-session or mutter, I get the same error messages as OP mentioned in their post.

Sorry for the late reply - I actually patched and installed the driver via the ports tree. I don't know how to patch in poudriere either. Can't believe that it's not patched in the ports tree yet, it's not like Gnome and an Nvidia card is a super-rare combination.

Back