Solved Tab completion fails for just installed software

Hi,

Yesterday night i started the installation of Ruby 2.5 from ports in my
BBB running FreeBSD-12-APLHA. I am keeping the default system shell, /bin/csh.

This morining the compile was over but, typing "ir+TAB" I got no completion.
The software is there, installed in /usr/local/bin/irb25.

If I open another ssh session to the BBB then "ir+TAB" completes correctly to "irb25".

Why is it so ?

bye
n.

CURRENT isn't supported on these forums, see this link:

Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions

The main reason for that is because CURRENT is a developer snapshot; there aren't even any guarantees that the whole thing will actually run. Which I imagine is also the main reason why its not supported here; problems could be caused by just about anything, including bugs in the OS itself.

CURRENT is best used to help find bugs in the system and optionally help repair those.

CURRENT isn't supported on these forums, see this link:

Topics about unsupported FreeBSD versions

The main reason for that is because CURRENT is a developer snapshot; there aren't even any guarantees that the whole thing will actually run. Which I imagine is also the main reason why its not supported here; problems could be caused by just about anything, including bugs in the OS itself.

CURRENT is best used to help find bugs in the system and optionally help repair those.

Umm, ShelLuser , thank you for the information, i did not know.

On the other hand on embedded I guess a lot of people is running CURRENT, the DTS/DTO thing moves fast. That is personally my reason for using it. I need to access hardware and if i stick to 11.X I am building on stuff that is already old.

So, maybe we could rise an exception to this rule in the Embedded forum,
what do you think ? It seems reasonable to me.

So, maybe we could rise an exception to this rule in the Embedded forum, what do you think ? It seems reasonable to me.
Not my call to make obviously, but I have to disagree about the reasonable part. It doesn't take away the main problem of the release being a developer snapshot and therefor likely unstable.

If you have a problem with it then there's no way to fully rule out options, because there will always be an possibility that the problem is caused by the OS itself, which would mean that some people are going to effectively waste their time. CURRENT is best used if you have a deeper understanding of FreeBSD.

But why not try STABLE? That's also a developer snapshot but much less bleeding edge. Better yet: because it's being more stable and robust it's also supported on these forums.

Not my call to make obviously, but I have to disagree about the reasonable part. It doesn't take away the main problem of the release being a developer snapshot and therefor likely unstable.

If you have a problem with it then there's no way to fully rule out options, because there will always be an possibility that the problem is caused by the OS itself, which would mean that some people are going to effectively waste their time. CURRENT is best used if you have a deeper understanding of FreeBSD.

But why not try STABLE? That's also a developer snapshot but much less bleeding edge. Better yet: because it's being more stable and robust it's also supported on these forums.

Hello ShelLuser,

I guess it is better we open a new thread elesewhere becase i am convinced this thing may be important. I am realatively a newbie so, well, more experienced users should express themselves.

I am an happy user of STABLE 11.X for my desktop and on other 3 little servers. I have never even considered to change them to CURRENT . Stability is uber-important in servers. And i appreciate it also in my laptop.

On the other side, in embedded, and expecially for the automation part, i observed that people (also here) tend to use CURRENT. In the beginning I was skeptic, a few days ago i made the jump and installed 12-ALPHA on the BBBlack. It runs, there are some criptic messages around but it runs.

In the embedded you are more or less ready for everytihng, things can fail and you need to fight to get stuff working. Sometimes drivers do not exist. Some times a feature has still not been implemented. Sometimes we (i did) mistake a resistor and burn the machine. We often compare to the Linux world to see where we are and what we miss.

For what i could observe, de facto, people in the Embedded forum are often referring to the CURRENT when they publish snippets.

So, even if I understand that discussing CURRENT in general on the forum should be banished, I would find an escape way. The Forum is a great intermediate step before posting e.g. to <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org> ;
which is more for gurus (system developers). Here we are more system deployers, we can write software but our focus is on applications.

Maybe an acceptable solution would be to open an
"Hot Embedded" Forum reserved to CURRENT. So, everybody
in "Hot Embedded" would know they can not expect the same level
of support that a STALBE has, better said NO SUPPORT.
It can change from one day to another. It is just for discussing and
sharing experiences and code snippets with other users.

Just an idea. I don't know if that is going to create a big issue on the
admins. For me the forum is great, so if it is going to create problems
i will drop it immediately.

It is unfortunate that I must rise this topic, because i am probably
the less prepared in the forum to do so. Damn the moment I wrote
"CURRENT" in my thread message;P

bye
n.

Back