I want FreeBSD on a smart phone ...

I want Windows to be installed on my vacuum cleaner
(blue screen of death is a good way to take a break from cleaning,
also "start menu" will finally start to make sense) :D,
MenuetOS on my bed and macOS on my toilet, with that shitty iTunes crap.
But I'm afraid that one day the water will stop washing away without an update… :(
Also these ads about new Apple toilet paper are pretty annoying. :-/
rLxbLza.jpg

Also Windows vacuum cleaner license agreement scares me a lot,
they want to analyze, save and send to third parties all data about my dust... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I want Windows to be installed on my vacuum cleaner
(blue screen of death is a good way to take a break from cleaning) :D
MenuetOS on my bed and macOS on my toilet, with that shitty iTunes crap.
But I'm afraid that one day water will stop washing away without an update… :(
rLxbLza.jpg

Also Windows vacuum cleaner license agreement scares me a lot,
they want to analyze, save and send to third parties all data about my dust... :eek:

Windows sucks, macOS is filled with shit and MenuetOS is the most tiring OS? :p

or somebody pissed enough about the current state of affairs and wanting to change it ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man." - George Bernard Shaw

Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
Or degradation...
Some people are very happy to degrade, BTW,
but some aren't. If there were no such people,
world would became a zoo many years ago.
Make crap, sell crap, buy crap, eat shit...
Here is few main rules of so known "modern world".
And most of people are happy with it. And it is sad IMO.
Such people have animal consciousness, so they act similarly.
And there is nothing easier, than to control some animal masses,
especially when these animals use tracking devices…
Animals, that go to the slaughter, are submissive too.

IMHO, what "we" are missing on smartphones OSes is something truly hardened like the old special/gov versions of BlackBerry OS. I mean, a "smartphone version" of FreeBSD hardened with SPARK[1] would be a good start point! :)

I mean, there is a market for this kind of solution, and they pay "top money" for them.

And the UI could be one more layer/extension of the Dæmon Desktop, Thread 66322. :eek:

EDITED: [1] yeah, there is the lack of properly licensed Ada compiler, but there is the DRACO work going on ( and looking at it now it seems to also be a marino work ). :-/

EDIT: no IMSI catcher, please. O:‑)

Last edited:
FreeBSD already works great on a smart phone.

So long as the exact hardware of the smartphone is a Thinkpad ;).

Oh and it doesn't actually call people. But to be honest, most people use smartphones only for the internet anyway.

Oh and it is also quite heavy to hold to your ear. But to be honest, most people don't actually call using a smartphone these days anyway.

Comes with a great keyboard :)

So buy it and create.

You need write "only" (Hardware)bootloader, screen drivers - xrandr, GPU drivers, keyboard (screen) driver, GPS. Camera, Rewrite some aps like Browser, Terminal Emulator, USB support :F, or squeeze GNOME.
Android Compatibility Layer, for aps. FreeBSD like NetBSD have ARM port.

https://www.indiamart.com/proddetail/arm-development-boards-10193790262.html
https://0.allegroimg.com/s512/038689/a370ac22488dae90ea7635d3b800
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/C0gw0delnf8/maxresdefault.jpg
https://m.gadzetomania.pl/nokia-e7-with-homescreen-054c2ce,750,470,0,0.jpg

Technically, you could make a FreeBSD "phone". You would need to get a 3g or 4g stick, connect it to something running FreeBSD and then use a softphone for making calls.

Personally, I'll just stick with my iPhone. There's a few apps I need that aren't available in stock Linux/FreeBSD and I'd rather not go back to Android.

Funny, been working on this very idea on and off. Still haven't gotten my pcb's laid out though and schematics have been in and out of limbo for 2 years, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Also, current design is way underpowered compared to 'real' smartphones anyway. It's basically a BBB with 1Gb of RAM.
One day I'll be able to replace my dumb phone that I've been repairing for the past 10 years now and have FreeBSD running in my pocket.

Frankly I don't suffer smart phones lightly. I'm still waiting for a smart smart phone.

OK, I have to admit that there is a slight chance that it's actually me that's stupid. I spent 15 minutes trying to find SMS on our phone. It turns out that one has to look for an orange triangle. Presumably anybody of average intelligence would know that. :(

I'm still using a basic phone, but my time is short. When my provider obsoletes 3G I probably will not be able to buy a basic phone that works on their network pushing me into a "smart" phone and doubling my bill. Even if that weren't the case, it's getting harder and harder to find basic phones. I imagine they're on the endangered list about now.

doubling my bill.
Cell service is already way overpriced. Here in Canada it is through the roof. I currently pay $25 per month for unlimited calls (within Canada only!) which is a pure ripoff. I can get a better and more sophisticated phone for 1/10 of that, just not cellular. In my case I need the phone for my wife's hospital stays, otherwise it wouldn't be worth such a huge amount of money.

Back