Solved Using bc for summation

Why using bc(1) when sh(1) offers basic arithmetic by its own?
Code:
#!/bin/sh
for value in `cat table.txt`; do
   sum=$(($sum + $value))
done
echo $sum

Given your numbers stored into the file table.txt and let above script iterate over it → 658

If your list of numbers is on datafile.txt, one number per line, perhaps this is what you have been looking for:

$ echo -e "`cat datafile.txt | tr '\n' '+' | sed -e 's/+$//g;'`\n" | bc

My favorite answer:
Code:
cat datafile.txt | awk '
{ total += $1 }
END { print total }'
The thing between quotes is a 2-line awk program. The first line takes an arbitrary input line, and adds the first field in it to total. The second line is run after the last input line, and prints the total.

If your list of numbers is on datafile.txt, one number per line, perhaps this is what you have been looking for:

$ echo -e "`cat datafile.txt | tr '\n' '+' | sed -e 's/+$//g;'`\n" | bc

That's the sort of command line I appreciate :).

Unfortunately I can't get it to work, but will keep trying.

My favorite answer:
Code:
cat datafile.txt | awk '
{ total += $1 }
END { print total }'
The thing between quotes is a 2-line awk program. The first line takes an arbitrary input line, and adds the first field in it to total. The second line is run after the last input line, and prints the total.

It looks simple enough, but do you need to change it when dealing with currency values (eg 5,200.00)?

It looks simple enough, but do you need to change it when dealing with currency values (eg 5,200.00)?

To avoid any weird behaviour, I'd just convert them into a proper decimal notation (i.e. remove the commas):
Code:
awk '{ gsub(",", ""); total +=$1 } END { printf "%.2f\n", total }' input.txt

Of course this only works if your locale actually uses dot as decimal separator; or more generally: the input file has to use the same decimal separator as your locale...

That's the sort of command line I appreciate :).

Unfortunately I can't get it to work, but will keep trying.
Hmmm ... It is odd !
Please check this two things:
  1. Be sure to try it under /bin/sh (since /bin/csh may be your default shell)
  2. Be sure to use the backtick (`) instead of the single quote (') or else those commands will not be executed

In theory, if your locale is set correctly, the printing and scanning functions for number should all input and output currency format. So if you take "$5,200.00" and read it into an appropriate variable (an awk of python number, which is by default a floating point, or use C's scanf with an appropriate format), it should just work. In theory, there should be no need to use string substitution to remove the commas first.

In practice, internationalization and localization, in particular where currency values are concerned, is halfway between a disaster and a minefield. And since the automatic mechanisms don't work half the time, people get into the bad habit of doing it by hand.

Hmmm ... It is odd !
Please check this two things:
  1. Be sure to try it under /bin/sh (since /bin/csh may be your default shell)
  2. Be sure to use the backtick (`) instead of the single quote (') or else those commands will not be executed

The problem seems to be with currency ie ',' and '.' . It does work with simple numbers.

And many thanks for showing me how to use bc() for simple calculation, which was the main aim of the thread.

Back