Other Problem with i3wm shortcuts

Hello, i have a problem with shortcuts on i3wm, i use "alt" button for shortcouts, i can do "alt + Enter" and "Alt + d", but when i use "alt + h", "alt + v" or "alt + f" not work, and show a character in terminal.

My .xinitrc is:

setxkbmap es
exec i3

Thanks.

Have a look at the config in your home directory. I've seen instances where the initial setup of the configuration only copies a partial config causing a lot of 'standard' keys to not work.

Version 4.13 of x11-wm/i3 has had this issue for me, too. Discusssions on i3 show that also Linux versions have the same problem. I switched back to 4.12. After some discussions in Thread 8031 I tried x11-wm/dwm which I really like. Thanks to Sevendogs :beer::) for the motivation.

Thanks, i only can solve it deleting /usr/home/user/.config/i3 directory, but when reboot and exec i3, i have the problem again. Finally I replaced i3 with enlightenment.

What I did was copying over the i3 config:

cp /usr/local/etc/i3/config ~/.config/i3/config

Then I checked what keys I want:

xinput test-xi2 --root # Gives me "detail: 115" when I press Windows key in my place

xmodmap -pke # Checking whether 115 really is what I want (Super_L)

xmodmap # mod4 is indeed Super_L

Then I used an editor to modify ~/.config/i3/config and added set $mod mod4 at the top and did a search Mod1 (default in the file) and replaced it with $mod

This fixed the issues I was having.

I have to say that this is rather hacky. I am not sure why the config wizard fails to write a correct config. If someone with a bit of C knowledge and maybe also knowing something about X wants to look at this. The files are here.

Then I checked what keys I want:

xinput test-xi2 --root # Gives me "detail: 115" when I press Windows key in my place

xmodmap -pke # Checking whether 115 really is what I want (Super_L)

xmodmap # mod4 is indeed Super_L

Then I used an editor to modify ~/.config/i3/config and added set $mod mod4 at the top and did a search Mod1 (default in the file) and replaced it with $mod

This fixed the issues I was having.

I have to say that this is rather hacky. I am not sure why the config wizard fails to write a correct config. If someone with a bit of C knowledge and maybe also knowing something about X wants to look at this. The files are here.

Thanks, it works perfect.

I'm sorry to write in an old thread, but it's been very useful to me the information of tobiam.

Have a look at the config in your home directory. I've seen instances where the initial setup of the configuration only copies a partial config causing a lot of 'standard' keys to not work.
I had this happen to me awhile back and actually logged an issue about it almost 2.5 years ago. It still appears to be open.
This is what I ultimately resorted to as well which seemed to provide me with a complete config file.

the freebsd project is currently planning moving the entire source tree to modula-3 so there is no time for the comunity driven ports
Well, both points you have here have nothing to do with each other, as you claim yourself.
The part about Modula-3, while interesting, is a bit over the top. Trolling is an art that does not require bluntness. Also, trolling is frowned upon here, as you should know.

I don't understand how a bug of this type can still not be fixed. How many years do they need to fix it? 10 years? 20 maybe?

I don't understand how a bug of this type can still not be fixed. How many years do they need to fix it? 10 years? 20 maybe?
You could, like, help? Or maybe pay someone to do this? Like in a capitalist economy? That would be great.

You could, like, help? Or maybe pay someone to do this? Like in a capitalist economy? That would be great.

Or better to use a system with something more life that does not keep bugs for years, it seems that freebsd takes care of your bugs and does not want to let them go ever !!

We don't chain people to a wall here. Everyone is free to go as he pleases.

Frustrating though it is, and yes, it is frustrating, you'll see this in any system, including the paid ones. What's important to you may not be that important to the next person. This would probably be up to the port maintainer or maintainers, rather than the core team. Adding a comment to the bug may even get some eyes on it and have someone look again. There is always limited man power. If you're a coder, you may be able to look at it, or even put your workaround in the bug to help others who don't like it, but don't have the time or energy (or money), to do anything about themselves. I notice in one of the posts above, someone says some Linux distros have the same problem, so you might wind up leaving only to find that Linux has the same issue. If you posted this on some distributions's forums or mailing lists, they may be far ruder. (Or quicker to get it fixed, who knows?)

Or better to use a system with something more life that does not keep bugs for years, it seems that freebsd takes care of your bugs and does not want to let them go ever !!

Quite ironic this issue is being discussed UPSTREAM. You should switch not just of OS but also of WM.

I don't have this bug, but I'm using Mod 4 (Win Key), not Mod 1 (Alt Key) and Mod 4+h/v/f, etc are working perfect.

The funny part of this drama: this is all because of a bug on the most useless part of x11-wm/i3. The only function of i3-config-wizard is to choose between "Alt" or "Win" keys as Meta key at the first run (like it is not expected the i3 user will do some customization anyway), otherwise the defaults could be installed automatically or ever hardcoded.

It is also quite ironic because the i3 developer not allowed the window gaps code to be merged (one need to use some fork if want gaps) due to all the i3 minimalist "philosophy", but add this completely useless piece of software (i3-config-wizard).

I am the guy who has tried to fix it upstream and failed. But I do not regret to try it. I have learned that the WebGUI version of github does not cover everything related to git. The main issue has been that I worked on master as recommended by github, the i3 people work on next. Since the issue did not appear on any Linux distribution it took quite some time until it has been discussed. The effect has been that master has been one year behind next. There is the option to rebase a pull request, but this has been far too much for my knowledge because it required to sort out conflicts manually. And with one year there have been lots of conflicts.

The i3 guys have been very patient with me. The issue has a low priority for the i3 developers, I guess the root cause is at FreeBSD and not on their side. This makes me more thankful for their efforts to help me to bring a workaround upstream. The FreeBSD maintainer could have approved the patch for FreeBSD, but he also recommended me to try to fix it upstream, that is what I have tried. A permanent fix is better than a patch which has to be maintained and adopted to each version of i3.

Now I am a happy git user for basic stuff. I have learned a lot. Everybody can use the patches to try to get them upstream. I can also try to apply them to the current i3 to support somebody else who can to the git stuff.

There is no need to blame anybody beside me. The i3 people work on a great window manager, the maintainer of i3 has lots of more important things to do than working on that workaround because he is involved in many more important FreeBSD projects.

This is not frustrating. It is more that I have taken time from the maintainer and the i3 team but learned a lot for myself.

The funny part of this drama: this is all because of a bug on the most useless part of x11-wm/i3. The only function of i3-config-wizard is to choose between "Alt" or "Win" keys as Meta key at the first run (like it is not expected the i3 user will do some customization anyway), otherwise the defaults could be installed automatically or ever hardcoded.

It is also quite ironic because the i3 developer not allowed the window gaps code to be merged (one need to use some fork if want gaps) due to all the i3 minimalist "philosophy", but add this completely useless piece of software (i3-config-wizard).

Exactly, I don't understand the need to run the i3-config-wizard at all, why not instead copy the default config as mentioned previously by tobium;

Could this behaviour be changed in our port? I would assume anyone savvy enough to be using i3 would be capable of editing a config file to change the defaults.

The port will not install the file in $HOME but in /usr/local/etc/i3 is doable. i3(1) try to read it in there if it does not find the file on the others possible locations.

This is not the first time I see this kind of contradiction from the i3 developer. There are some minor others I don't remember anymore, but WTF are there 'tabbed' and 'stacking' modes if the i3 ''philosophy" pray to keep the code/features at the minimal necessary? Both modes do the exactly same thing but with a different "accent".

He of course has all rights to do/accept or deny wherever he wants in his project but it would be more civilized if he assumed some feature is not being accepted because he does not like it instead of raising some i3 philosophy BS (probably just too looks cool).

And that is just one of the reasons I switched to x11-wm/bspwm, and I do not regret.

The wizard is unnecessary and the gaps should be merged. I'd like to give bspwm a try, but I'm too inexperienced with BSD (just installed for fun), so I'm gonna stick with what I already know.

The port will not install the file in $HOME but in /usr/local/etc/i3 is doable. i3(1) try to read it in there if it does not find the file on the others possible locations.

This is not the first time I see this kind of contradiction from the i3 developer. There are some minor others I don't remember anymore, but WTF are there 'tabbed' and 'stacking' modes if the i3 ''philosophy" pray to keep the code/features at the minimal necessary? Both modes do the exactly same thing but with a different "accent".

He of course has all rights to do/accept or deny wherever he wants in his project but it would be more civilized if he assumed some feature is not being accepted because he does not like it instead of raising some i3 philosophy BS (probably just too looks cool).

And that is just one of the reasons I switched to x11-wm/bspwm, and I do not regret.

Window gaps were shot down because adding them would require rewriting a large portion of the existing code to add a minor aesthetic feature that most of us old-timers find worthless. The existing patch that adds gaps between windows also breaks the tabbing/stacking functionality, meaning you'd have to sacrifice some of i3's most useful features just to have those gaps. It wasn't done to keep the number of code lines down; it was done because the lead developers felt it was a waste of effort, and many of us agree.

The existing patch that adds gaps between windows also breaks the tabbing/stacking functionality, meaning you'd have to sacrifice some of i3's most useful features just to have those gaps.
That is not true!
00.png 01.png

Back