Terminal based Norton Commander program?

Hello,

Norton Commander was simple, powerful, reliable, and easy for everyone.

mc is a possible alternative.

Eventually have you heard of a source code of norton commander? maybe un--assembling the executable?

Best regards

I've not used Norton Commander since early 90's but I never heard of its source code being available anywhere. That said, I think the closest thing on the market is misc/mc. There is lfm (python written, meh) what seems similar.

I tried using misc/mc some time ago instead of x11-fm/pcmanfm, and discovered I can't live without the thumbnail previews anymore. :'‑(

I tried using misc/mc some time ago instead of x11-fm/pcmanfm, and discovered I can't live without the thumbnail previews anymore.

Try sysutils/py-ranger, it's also terminal file manager,
it has also preview option for graphics and text files (previews for graphics
works only with xterm and urxvt (works better with xterm), also w3m-img should be installed).
Pxe6TTh.png

Midnight Commander is exactly like the old Norton Commander. So why would you want to reverse engineer an old MS-DOS executable to basically archive something that's been done already?

Midnight Commander is exactly like the old Norton Commander. So why would you want to reverse engineer an old MS-DOS executable to basically archive something that's been done already?

They may eventually look the same, ok. This is a two panel.
https://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Norton+Commander+5.5&gid=1814

mc is similar but not exactly the same.
I believe that mc is not so easy to use.
Norton Commander was easier to use. Everyone knows nc (likely) and can work with it. Just some guess, but... can be discussed.

Back