X.Org server: Possible to do the multihead without xinerama?

I recall that a lot of time ago I've used to have a setup in which I've had 2 monitors, different resolutions and different DPI, but same keyboard and mouse. In that setup, it was impossible to move windows between monitors, as there were two servers: DISPLAY=:0.0 and DISPLAY=:0.1.

I've read through wikis and mans, and I don't get it. Is the ability to make such a setup gone from modern X.Org versions? Is Xinerama the only solution?

In your xorg.conf file you would have two "serverlayout" sections. Each refers to a distinct GPU "Device" section.

There are many examples online if you search for xorg.conf multiple serverlayout sections

Reference x11/xrandr from ~/.xinit or ~/.xsession using 1 xserver.
Insert something like:
Code:
xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of HDMI-0

You can optionally run a graphical version x11/arandr to find your desired settings for xrandr.

Reference x11/xrandr from ~/.xinit or ~/.xsession using 1 xserver.
Insert something like:
Code:
xrandr --output DVI-0 --right-of HDMI-0

You can optionally run a graphical version x11/arandr to find your desired settings for xrandr.
I didn't have a chance to run with two monitors (yet) on this system, but xrandr creates a big single space, which only logically is 2 different monitors, and you can not define different DPI per server, which you could do in case of running 2 different xorg servers (in theory), which was what I was asking about.
now, xrandr can do --scale, if I recall correctly, but this results in blurry fonts, and there is no task that I can do wtihout seeing text, so that renders secondary monitor useless.
With default dpi of 192, which I use for my main screen, stuff on second screen is just gigantic.

I run two monitors without xinerama with my nvidia card for years.
NVidia.. I don't have that, this is a laptop with dumb optimus setup. Only reason this laptop even *has* secondary gpu in first place is that this was the only option with a decent CPU.

Back