gdb

gdb (v6.1.1) comes included with FreeBSD and is installed in/usr/bin. gdb (v8.1) is available as a PKG and gets installed in /usr/local/bin and comes later in the path. What is the recommended way of running gdb (v8.1) from the command line or from within emacs?

There's no recommend way of doing it. You do have few options though:
- execute it specifying an absolute path, i.e. /usr/local/bin/gdb.
- modify the PATH variable in your shell's profile to have /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin.
- add the alias into your shell's profile (e.g. alias gdb8 as /usr/local/bin/gdb ).

And .. well, this is not recommended but I did it anyway. I renamed the /usr/bin/gdb to gdb.orig and created a symlink /usr/bin/gdb to point to /usr/local/bin/gdb. Why? I use several users when debugging/pwning something and I didn't want to setup the profile for each user. I'm lazy that way. Also the 'user experience' in gdb6 vs gdb8 is just .. well, I have no need to use gdb6. I kept it around if such situation emerges though.

And .. well, this is not recommended but I did it anyway. I renamed the /usr/bin/gdb to gdb.orig and created a symlink /usr/bin/gdb to point to /usr/local/bin/gdb. Why? I use several users when debugging/pwning something and I didn't want to setup the profile for each user. I'm lazy that way. Also the 'user experience' in gdb6 vs gdb8 is just .. well, I have no need to use gdb6. I kept it around if such situation emerges though.

I guess that sounds the most preferable for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

I found that using 6.1.1 gave me a 'Dwarf Error: wrong version in compilation unit header' which I was unable to solve. 8.1 does not display this error.

I most often use it from the command line to backtrace core dumps, as in

$ echo bt | gdb program core

I prefer a GUI debugger front end for any real debugging, and that would always be ddd for me.

BTW: read somewhere that gdb is becoming depricated in the next freeBSD version, but haven't investigated that point.

Back