libcrypto.so.8

B

BSDAppentic3

In a VM with HardenedBSD, i have a trouble when i try to start my desktop environment (mate desktop)
startx
Code:
xauth: file /root/.serverauth.75317 does not exist
Shared object "libcrypto.so.8" not found, required by "X"
xinit: server error
Any idea will be welcome. I don't know why this happens.
Thanks.

Maybe i am better with FreeBSD...
But, once you know about it, it is more difficult to forget about it.
Besides, i am learning. FBSD it's first, but not the only one.

You also shouldn't login as root, but as normal user.
But, the only user that can modify the system it's the user root. That's why i logged with that account.

Yes but you should login as user and then su to root when you want to modify the system. Also, you can't start X as root (hence the error).

Yes but you should login as user and then su to root when you want to modify the system. Also, you can't start X as root (hence the error).
Then i need to install sudo, and then login as root?

But why when i tried to start the graphic environment the system showed me that this file was missing?

Hmm, how did you install X? Next thing I would try is reinstall x11/xorg. The library libcrypto.so is part of OpenSSL and part of the base system. If X can't find this library then X is probably not installed completely, or incorrect.

Hmm, how did you install X? Next thing I would try is reinstall x11/xorg. The library libcrypto.so is part of OpenSSL and part of the base system. If X can't find this library then X is probably not installed completely, or incorrect.
How can i install it properly? Or reinstall it?

cd to /usr/ports/x11/xorg and enter make install clean (as root this time).

But while thinking more about this: is HardenedBSD perhaps using LibreSSL by default? Or doesn't HardenedBSD have SSL in base? If this is the case you probably also need to reinstall LibreSSL/OpenSSL or something.
Edit: I see on their site that HardenedBSD has LibreSSL in base.

Code:
On FreeBSD this error typically happens when you've upgraded the OS to a new major version but still have packages installed from the previous version. This usually means you've skipped/forgot the pkg-static upgrade -f step during the upgrade.

cd to /usr/ports/x11/xorg and enter make install clean (as root this time).

But while thinking more about this: is HardenedBSD perhaps using LibreSSL by default? Or doesn't HardenedBSD have SSL in base? If this is the case you probably also need to reinstall LibreSSL/OpenSSL or something.
Edit: I see on their site that HardenedBSD has LibreSSL in base.

I regret to inform you that in HBSD there is no such thing as ports, as far as i can see. That's one of the reasons why i was disconcerted when i start to use it.

Code:
On FreeBSD this error typically happens when you've upgraded the OS to a new major version but still have packages installed from the previous version. This usually means you've skipped/forgot the pkg-static upgrade -f step during the upgrade.

The curious thing is that i used that command. It's disconcerting because it gives me that error, if you tell me that happens when you skip that command, which I did not do.

I have to say I'm a little bit out of ideas for now. Don't know how to do a forced reinstall with pkg. :(

edit: whoops that is of course where the "pkg-static upgrade -f" command is for....

I have to say I'm a little bit out of ideas for now. Don't know how to do a forced reinstall with pkg. :(
No, it isn't pkg. It's similar, but not the same.
Anyways, thanks for your help.
Now, I don't know if SirDIce would let us keep talking about this. Because it's another OS, it's not about FBSD.

Excuse me, but i need to ask you something. I want to create a post about mount a WiFi network.
In which category should i post it?

My first thought was "networking" but I also see some questions about wireless drivers in "system hardware", so it depends a little bit what exactly your question is about.

Back