Where should I start?

B

BSDAppentic3

Hi everyone! I'm a beginner in this OS. The reason for why I am typing this, is that I want to ask: where should I start?
I have been installed FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE on a i386 processor. If you need more info, you just need to tell me what info you precise and I provide to you.
Well, sorry if I typed a lot. The reason why I am writing, it's that I need some tips about how to start; personalize; increase security; and, most important, know more about this OS. The last point it's the most important. So, if some user with experience, or even a beginner user, can told me some informative, it will be useful.
Well, thanks for reading.
Bye.

It all depends on what you want to do.
Well. I want to make great things with this, but better slow and safe. So, step by step. But, I think, that if you want to make big things as I said, then you previously must know what you're using, what you're doing.
I heard, and read, that this it's one of the most robust systems. I read some of its history. I was very curious about it.
Honestly, at the beginning it was a lot of effort and suffer. Suffering because of the fails. You know, in the life, sometimes you learn from "the hard way". But I never gave up. So, with a lot of effort, finally I get a system that I want to learn.
Thank you all for the help :)
I'll read all the articles, etc., that you all have posted to me.

Thanks for the reception! Thanks for the info, of course!

Honestly, at the beginning it was a lot of effort and suffer. Suffering because of the fails. You know, in the life, sometimes you learn from "the hard way". But i never gave up. So, whit a lot of effort, finally i get a system that i want to learn.

That's the spirit. :)

So, with a lot of effort, finally I get a system that I want to learn.
Be prepared to fail a lot more. It's inevitable if you want to learn things. You learn, try, fail, learn more, try again, fail some more, etc. The more you failed the bigger the reward in the end.

Set yourself a realistic goal, what do I want to do? Set up a web server? Learn about DNS? Make sure it's something realistic you can achieve in a couple of evenings. Then go have fun with it.

Be prepared to fail a lot more. It's inevitable if you want to learn things. You learn, try, fail, learn more, try again, fail some more, etc. The more you failed the bigger the reward in the end.

Set yourself a realistic goal, what do I want to do? Set up a web server? Learn about DNS? Make sure it's something realistic you can achieve in a couple of evenings. Then go have fun with it.

Now that you have mentioned, i want to make a full-upgrade of the whole system. You could help me on this matter? I need to write another post, right?
Look, the output of uname -UK it's
Code:
 1101001 1101001
As i understand, i have this kernel version, right?

BSDApprentic3, this is what you're looking for:

Code:
$ freebsd-version -ku
11.1-RELEASE-p4
11.1-RELEASE-p6
$ uname -a
FreeBSD relentless 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:12:40 UTC 2017  
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

You want to run these commands as root on a daily basis:
Code:
portsnap fetch update
pkg audit -F
freebsd-update fetch

The first command updates your ports tree.
The second updates your vulnxml file with any new vulnerabilities found in programs you have installed.
The third makes sure you are up to date with any userland or kernel patches.

Look, the output of uname -UK it's
Use freebsd-version(1) instead. It'll give you a much clearer answer. Understand that the kernel and the base OS are considered a complete set. This is quite different from Linux for example where you have a Linux kernel and a bunch of utilities, tools and libraries from different sources.

Code:
dice@armitage:~ % freebsd-version -uk
10.3-RELEASE-p24
10.3-RELEASE-p26
Code:
dice@tessierashpool:~ % freebsd-version -uk
11.1-RELEASE-p4
11.1-RELEASE-p6

BSDApprentic3, this is what you're looking for:

Code:
$ freebsd-version -ku
11.1-RELEASE-p4
11.1-RELEASE-p6
$ uname -a
FreeBSD relentless 11.1-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Nov 14 06:12:40 UTC 2017 
root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

You want to run these commands as root on a daily basis:
Code:
portsnap fetch update
pkg audit -F
freebsd-update fetch

The first command updates your ports tree.
The second updates your vulnxml file with any new vulnerabilities found in programs you have installed.
The third makes sure you are up to date with any userland or kernel patches.

When i typed the second command that you wrote, the terminal shows me something that i think you need to see. Maybe it's no dangerous, but, well. I'll show you:
Code:
Fetching vuln.xml.bz2: 100%  706 KiB 180.8kB/s    00:04    
libreoffice-5.3.7_2 is vulnerable:
LibreOffice -- Remote arbitrary file disclosure vulnerability via WEBSERVICE formula
CVE: CVE-2018-6871
WWW: https://vuxml.FreeBSD.org/freebsd/289269f1-0def-11e8-99b0-d017c2987f9a.html

evince-3.18.2_5 is vulnerable:
evince and atril -- command injection vulnerability in CBT handler
CVE: CVE-2017-1000083
WWW: https://vuxml.FreeBSD.org/freebsd/01a197ca-67f1-11e7-a266-28924a333806.html

2 problem(s) in the installed packages found.

What does it means? It's curious that this output shows me about Libreoffice. Look, i have some PDF files, and all the times that i tried to read them with LibreOffice, allways it says me that there were an error. The program told me about recover the archives that i'm trying to read or view, but always fails in the process. Or, if it success, the program crashes.
Should i continue with the upgrade? What can i do with this program and its fails?
Do you need the exact message of what the program shows me when its fails occurs?

Use freebsd-version(1) instead. It'll give you a much clearer answer. Understand that the kernel and the base OS are considered a complete set. This is quite different from Linux for example where you have a Linux kernel and a bunch of utilities, tools and libraries from different sources.

Code:
dice@armitage:~ % freebsd-version -uk
10.3-RELEASE-p24
10.3-RELEASE-p26
Code:
dice@tessierashpool:~ % freebsd-version -uk
11.1-RELEASE-p4
11.1-RELEASE-p6
Thanks. That command is more clear.

The pkg-audit(8) command will show you if there are known security issues with any of the ports/packages you have installed. It keeps track of this site: http://www.vuxml.org/freebsd/

As it reports two issues with installed packages it means you should run pkg upgrade to get them updated.

Another error:
Code:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
Fetching meta.txz: 100%    944 B   0.9kB/s    00:01   
Fetching packagesite.txz: 100%    6 MiB 120.2kB/s    00:51   
Processing entries: 100%
FreeBSD repository update completed. 28736 packages processed.
Updating Synth repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository Synth load error: access repo file(/var/db/pkg/repo-Synth.sqlite) failed: No such file or directory
pkg: file:///var/synth/live_packages/meta.txz: No such file or directory
repository Synth has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: file:///var/synth/live_packages/packagesite.txz: No such file or directory
Unable to update repository Synth
Error updating repositories!
I have read about synth, and i installed it.
Edit: it was when i typed pkg upgrade

Right, you now have two repositories configured. The first is the original FreeBSD repository, the second a Synth repository. But because you haven't done anything with Synth yet (besides installing it) the Synth repository is empty. Hence the errors.

The repository reference is probably stored in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/. Just move it out of the way for now.

No, my native language is portuguese :)
If you click on my avatar, you can see that I am from Portugal. There are other members that you can also see where they are from by clicking on their avatar.
By the way your avatar shows that you are from Argentina ;)
Yes, i don't remember that i can do it :D

Right, you now have two repositories configured. The first is the original FreeBSD repository, the second a Synth repository. But because you haven't done anything with Synth yet (besides installing it) the Synth repository is empty. Hence the errors.

The repository reference is probably stored in /usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/. Just move it out of the way for now.

This works. But pkg audit -F it's still giving me the same error.

Back