C D-Bus & HALD replacements

Hello all,

I know that FreeBSD's native solution is devd, rather than hald. However, what I don't know is what's the native solution to use instead of dbus?

That sounds like all the more reason for FreeBSD to have an alternative to dbus. What I don't like about Lumina is the same thing that I don't like about the other desktops -integration with the hardware is severely lacking. Hardware diagnostics and proper hardware reporting is something that never seems to work quite right on any desktop on FreeBSD.

integration with the hardware is severely lacking. Hardware diagnostics and proper hardware reporting is something that never seems to work quite right on any desktop on FreeBSD.
And how would developing an alternative to D-Bus help here? D-Bus itself is just an event/message bus and if the implementation of the services that use it are lacking or missing in some way on FreeBSD then that is what needs to be fixed.

And how would developing an alternative to D-Bus help here? D-Bus itself is just an event/message bus and if the implementation of the services that use it are lacking or missing in some way on FreeBSD then that is what needs to be fixed.
Perhaps I should have provided some separation of topics when I responded earlier. This is what It should have looked like:

"That sounds like all the more reason for FreeBSD to have an alternative to dbus.

What I don't like about Lumina is the same thing that I don't like about the other desktops -integration with the hardware is severely lacking. Hardware diagnostics and proper hardware reporting is something that never seems to work quite right on any desktop on FreeBSD."

Though, it still looks a bit silly because SirDice seems to have removed his comment about OpenOffice & other software (which my first sentence was replying to), and Lumina (which my second & third sentences were referring to).

I'm hunting for either homegrown BSD solutions or solutions that don't have any form of GPL license attached to them.
DBus is dual-licensed, it also has a AFL 2.1 license.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Free_License

Though, it still looks a bit silly because SirDice seems to have removed his comment about OpenOffice & other software (which my first sentence was replying to), and Lumina (which my second & third sentences were referring to).
Not my post.

DBus is dual-licensed, it also has a AFL 2.1 license.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_Free_License
Looking at the source tree itself tells a more clear story. From the file "COPYING":

"D-Bus is licensed to you under your choice of the Academic Free
License version 2.1, or the GNU General Public License version 2
(or, at your option any later version).

Both licenses are included here. Some of the standalone binaries are
under the GPL only; in particular, but not limited to,
tools/dbus-cleanup-sockets.c and test/decode-gcov.c. Each source code
file is marked with the proper copyright information - if you find a
file that isn't marked please bring it to our attention."

Back