Solved Can't get desired screen resolution with xorg on MATE-base 1.18

Hi,

I've tried several things mostly found here but cannot get any screen res higher than 1024x768, which is kinda small.

xrandr(1)() reports max res is 1024x768, but the monitor and a previous installation of GNOME2 (some time ago) support(ed) 1280x1024, which is my desire.

I built mate-base and xorg from ports and everything is updated.

There's no xorg.conf on the system.

I tried (using what was in the handbook chapter linked above):

-adding user to wheel and video
-enabling vt(4)() in /boot/loader.conf
-editing /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/screen-resolution.conf had no effect

-editing /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/driver-intel.conf threw an error that went something like-
Code:
bad display name ":0" in "add" command...
Fatal server error: (EE) no screens found (EE)...

The chipset is onboard Intel G35 which is reported by dmesg as agp0 Intel G965 and FWIW dmesg reports the display at vgapci0 VGA-compatible display.

What else to try?

TIA!
-bg

1. You don't need to enable vt(4) if you on FreeBSD 11 (they are the default consoles).
2. You do need to add to your /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
i915kms_load="YES"

1. You don't need to enable vt(4) if you on FreeBSD 11 (they are the default consoles).
2. You do need to add to your /boot/loader.conf:
Code:
i915kms_load="YES"

Thanks- I saw a thread mentioning that, but I don't have that chipset (and tried it anyway after your post) but unfortunately it had no effect either in /boot/loader.conf or /etc/rc.conf. I dropped the call to vt(4)() from /boot/loader.conf as per your rec.

Thanks- that particular port has been dropped, but your post led me to xf86-video-intel which allowed me to get higher resolutions via xrandr().

I would not let the 'i915' part of that i915kms command put you off. I use it with Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge Intel graphics. I believe it compliments the xf86-video-intel xorg video driver. It is just a generic name signifying Intel graphics.

I believe it is only used in command line mode and possibly command line programs.
So if only using X then xf86-video-intel is sufficient.

So if only using X then xf86-video-intel is sufficient
Searching forums put me here & my screen resolution have been corrected after installing xf86-video-ati automatically. Now how can I change boot resolution.
Code:
# dmesg | grep reso
VT(vga): resolution 640x480
atrtc0: registered as a time-of-day clock, resolution 1.000000s
VT(vga): resolution 640x480
atrtc0: registered as a time-of-day clock, resolution 1.000000s
Also what is the way to change brightness+contrast from openbox.

q. 1: man vt shows some loader.conf tunables.
q. 2: don't the brightness function keys of your lappy work?

Back