wifi not working after following docs

I have an intel wireless (2200, I believe) card on my Thinkpad T430. At first the wifi connection was very unstable. Sometimes I even couldn't ping my home router. At last I found the problem is that my wifi network consists of three access points. That is to say, although the network bears only one SSID (network name in plain text form), each access point has its own BSSID (normally the MAC address of the access point). So I put both the SSID and the BSSID of the access point that is nearby in 'wpa_supplicant.conf' and everything works now.

Above is just for your information.

I think I did everything correctly but I'm getting this
Code:
 ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0
ifconfig: create: bad value

Hi again, sorry for not having said this earlier bsmith. This is likely happening because, as you said, you already configured your wlan0 interface in rc.conf, so it's being creating every time at boot.
Try using
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 destroy
before ifconfig wlan0 create wlandev iwn0
or comment and disable it
Code:
# wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
in rc.conf

Thanks darcsis but that didn't work.

If you don't mind I'd like to start over.
Code:
 kldstat
Id Refs Address            Size     Name
 1   13 0xffffffff80200000 1f67a88  kernel
 2    1 0xffffffff82169000 a7250    iwn6000g2bfw.ko
 3    1 0xffffffff82211000 73f18    iwn6050fw.ko
 4    1 0xffffffff82285000 a69f0    iwn6000g2afw.ko
 5    1 0xffffffff8232c000 703d0    iwn6000fw.ko
what exactly is the firmware and does it go in /boot/loader.conf?

what exactly is the firmware and does it go in /boot/loader.conf?
Whether you already put it in your loader.conf following aragats' suggestion, or your system autonomously recognized your Intel Centrino 6205, the kldstat you posted, tells that the firmwares for all the Intel devices supported by iwn() driver have been loaded already. Hence you do not have to do anything else to load them.
PS: firmware stands for the ROM, the unmodifiable software any device comes preinstalled with. BIOS/UEFI are firmware for motherboards :)

I'm still getting the same error about bad carrier. And I'm sorry if I can't keep up with who posted what but this is a long thread and this is new to me. I know I asked before but could this just be a bad network card?

I couldn't find a way to read/set rfkill switch in FreeBSD. Is it possible? Does anybody know?

bsmith , do you have a WIFI activity indicator? Is it blinking when you try configuring WIFI network?

aragats said:
I couldn't find a way to read/set rfkill switch in FreeBSD. Is it possible? Does anybody know?
Having relied on it in the past, I truly believed something like rfkill actually existed for FreeBSD, but your post suggested me to go checking out, so I discovered I was wrong. Since I assume the button is connected to some gpio pin (isn't it?), what I was thinking it could be done is using gpioctl() no enable it. Maybe something like this:
Code:
gpioctl -lv
gpioctl -f /dev/gpioc0  -c *pin* OUT
gpioctl -f /dev/gpioc0 *pin* 1
However I doubt the system would recognize the gpio chip in the first place; probably running sysctl -a may provide an answer. Then you could try recompiling the kernel with the correct device using the gpio bus system. If you remember Phishfry is a true adept on the topic and opened many threads regarding gpio driver support for some chips through nctgpio(github) - nctgpio(BugZilla)kernel module, to which he seems to have contributed, as well as Gonzo's bytgpio driver. Gonzo appears to have also developed some wrappers. I do not know if ever this work could be applied to your case, as I do not not much about this kind of hardware, but I hope I provided some sorta hint. Anyway Phishfry might be really helpful in working this out.
Best regards

aragats, I found my wifi indicator and it's not working when I try to start the network.

I found my wifi indicator and it's not working when I try to start the network.
Did you find WIFI enable/disable button/switch as well? Does it have any effect?
Of course, it's hard to tell whether that a hardware of software issue. However, I'm doubting it's hardware, they don't break that way so easy...

I googled and read that I should hold the fn and f5 keys together and that a wireless box would popup but that only appears to be true in windows. No other idea.

I should hold the fn and f5 keys together
Yes, that's good, just do it and see what will happen. Windows has nothing to do with it, the functionality is in the hardware.
So, press the combination once and try to (re)configure the card. Pay attention to the indicator: whether it flashes that time.

I tried it already nothing. Right now I can't do anything because we have a power outage that has been going on for a while. Will get back to you.

Well I tried it again several times with no luck. I read further and it said that if it didn't work to install the drivers. Another said to use ndiswrapper.

I'm glad to hear you got your wifi up and running!
It's really hard to believe that the original one is so bad. Is it a mini-PCI card? One day you may try to remove it and install into a Windows machine together with their official drivers to check one more time.

II don't have windows and it's my understanding that wifi nics are welded in and impossible to remove.I don't know why it didn't work. I'm just glad the dongle worked!

II don't have windows and it's my understanding that wifi nics are welded in and impossible to remove.I don't know why it didn't work. I'm just glad the dongle worked!
Ones found in laptops tend to be replacable mini-pcie modules. With some models of laptops you can even have multiple extra wifi cards if you threw out cellular modem and bluetooth modules.

That's good to know. I had called my local computer store and they told me I couldn't, that I'd have to replace the motherboard and all which of course wasn't worth it. But I still don't have a Windows computer. I had one but I overrode it with Linux which I shouldn't have done. I got Windows from Dell but my laptop won't recognize it either from usb or cdrom. Who ever said life was going to be easy?

Back