Solved iwn wifi awefully slow

Hi there,

I have a dell latitude d830 laptop with an intel pro/wireless 4965 wifi card. With windows 7 and with debian gnu/linux I had data transfer rates into the internet at around 240 kB/s (the maximum my provider offers here).

Unfortunately there was a serious hard disc crash so I replaced the disc and decided to give FreeBSD-11.0 a try. The installer was not able to configure the card correctly and couldn't establish a connection, so I had to configure this part on my own. I'm typing this on the laptop with FreeBSD, so we can assume I have a connection. But the data transfer rate is as slow as 40-80 kB/s. Downloading the port repository is really a pain.

So how is the configuration:

boot/loader.conf
Code:
legal.intel_iwn.license_ack=1
if_iwn_load="YES"
if_iwnfw_load="NO"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"

etc/rc.conf
Code:
wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
wpa_supplicant_flags="-s"

etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Code:
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

network={
    ssid="<MY-SSID>"
    psk="<MY-SECRET>"
    }

Result of pciconf -lve:
Code:
iwn0@pci0:12:0:0:    class=0x028000 card=0x11218086 chip=0x42298086 rev=0x61 hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron] Network Connection'
    class      = network
  PCI-e errors = Correctable Error Detected
     Corrected = Receiver Error
                 Bad TLP

I can't find any further log messages concerning errors et al, so I have no idea where to go from here. I already updated my system so I'm sure to use the latest drivers.

Any hints appreciated.

Hennes

Probably a bit off-topic, but if you are running a GENERIC kernel, I don't believe any of what you listed in /boot/loader.conf is necessary.

Probably a bit off-topic, but if you are running a GENERIC kernel, I don't believe any of what you listed in /boot/loader.conf is necessary.

Just removed all entries from loader.conf. Yepp, still working.

But, I just set up another computer to act as a server and downloaded a big file from there onto the laptop: 1.3 MB / s !!!
So there nothing wrong with the card or the driver at all. It's the FreeBSD repository that is so slow.

But that's another topic. So I'll close this one. Errr, how do I mark a thread as SOLVED?

Thanks
Hennes

Back