Solved Xampp on FreeBSD?

Hello,

I want move my laptop computer to FreeBSD and one question is, how can I install xampp on FreeBSD? For me it is very important to have an environment with mysql + php + phpmyadmin becuase I study web development.

I know I can manually install and configure apache, php, mysql etc ... but is there any way to deploy something like xampp easily?

XAMP is Windows XP, Apache, MySQL, PHP. It's entirely based on LAMP; Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP. If anything you'd be looking for FAMP; FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP. All this basically does is install and configure Apache, MySQL and PHP. And you have to do that by hand on FreeBSD. You have to do it by hand on Linux too. The only reason there's a convenient package for Windows is because Windows just doesn't have Apache, MySQL and PHP in it's software repository.

XAMP is Windows XP, Apache, MySQL, PHP. It's entirely based on LAMP; Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP. If anything you'd be looking for FAMP; FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP. All this basically does is install and configure Apache, MySQL and PHP. And you have to do that by hand on FreeBSD. You have to do it by hand on Linux too. The only reason there's a convenient package for Windows is because Windows just doesn't have Apache, MySQL and PHP in it's software repository.

Xampp is for Windows, linux and mac.

https://www.apachefriends.org/es/index.html

There's no reason to install it on Linux as all those applications are available from the official repositories. I actually would advise against installing it on Linux because this stuff just doesn't register itself so there's no easy way to keep track of versions. I have to deal with a bunch of Linux machines that the previous administrators installed the LAMP stack on, and it's a bloody nightmare. I have no idea why they did that. First thing I do when I come across a machine like that is to rip that LAMP stuff off of the machine and install the proper packages from the official repositories.

Yes, it's a little more involved configuring it but you save time by being able to just run the official upgrade commands (like apt-get upgrade) and be sure you're actually updating everything that's installed.

If you want a FAMP stack:
Code:
pkg install apache24
pkg install mod_php56
pkg install mysql56-server
Done. There's really no need for something like XAMPP.

There's no reason to install it on Linux as all those applications are available from the official repositories. I actually would advise against installing it on Linux because this stuff just doesn't register itself so there's no easy way to keep track of versions. I have to deal with a bunch of Linux machines that the previous administrators installed the LAMP stack on, and it's a bloody nightmare. I have no idea why they did that. First thing I do when I come across a machine like that is to rip that LAMP stuff off of the machine and install the proper packages from the official repositories.

Yes, it's a little more involved configuring it but you save time by being able to just run the official upgrade commands (like apt-get upgrade) and be sure you're actually updating everything that's installed.

If you want a FAMP stack:
Code:
pkg install apache24
pkg install mod_php56
pkg install mysql56-server
Done. There's really no need for something like XAMPP.

Ok thanks, It has helped me to clarify.

I want to make it clear here that "yes", xampp can be installed in freeBSD because it has support for linux applications, yes famp is the best option, but I use xampp on my personal PC for easy installation and use, but if If you are using a server install the appropriate packages, but if it is only for development on the personal computer, xampp is a good option for having everything included, I use freeBSD day by day and I never had problems with xampp.

Back