AMD64 Increasing Page Size

Hi,

I'm doing some testing on FreeBSD 9.0 and I would like to increase the page size to 16kb for AMD64 but I'm having trouble compiling a stable kernel.

I've updated PAGE_SHIFT to 14 and _NPCM to 12 and _NPCPV to 677 in pmap.h to stop the compiler error but after installation the kernel crashes instantly and I can't get a debugger to attach to see where the error occurred. I'm not sure what else I may need to change so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

I could see some value in playing with the page replacement algorithms using larger pages, but don't really see how this will benefit an embedded system that is presumably not doing any "real" paging (just growing the stack and heap as needed). Then again, your concept of an embedded system in this case may differ from mine.

You could probably fake it with some hacking, but IIRC the CPU hardware only directly supports 4KB and 2MB pages. So you will have to write some pretty low-level memory management code to make this go. You can check my recollections with this book: AMD64 Architecture Programmer’s Manual Volume 2: System Programming

Back