GDM (GNOME 3) fails to show login screen

I updated from x11/gnome2 to x11/gnome3 yesterday and everything compiled successfully, but now, x11/gdm fails at start, going to a blackscreen (recoverable). Do I need a different configuration for the new x11/gdm?

Also, I can see the following message:
Code:
gdm[1052]: Failed to give slave programs access to the display. Trying to proceed.

On a fresh install of FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE/i386, I have the same result with GDM 3.14.1: a black screen. I have not installed GNOME 3, but Xfce 4.

/etc/rc.conf contains:
Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
avahi_daemon_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"
From log /var/log/gdm/:0-greeter.log:
Code:
gnome-session[956]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file gnome-shell.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
I tried to remove /usr/local/share/xsessions/gnome.desktop, leaving only /usr/local/share/xsessions/xfce.desktop alone. But that doesn't change anything.

I tried to install x11/gnome-shell, but as this card is NVdia, it conflicts with graphics/libEGL. Both install the same library /usr/local/lib/libEGL.so. So I can't continue with x11/gnome-shell.

Please help, should I downgrade to the deleted port gdm-2.30.7_3?

Thanks.

gnome-session is now fixed after reinstalling x11/nvidia-driver with a patch from bug report PR 194924.

I'm still with a black screen with the following warning:
Code:
gdm[1181]: Failed to give slave programs access to the display. Trying to proceed.

FWIW, out of curiosity I also installed x11/gnome3. x11/gdm seems to work and I get the same warning. After waiting from thirty to sixty seconds after logging in however the desktop does appear and seem to work. I haven't looked into it any further as of yet.

You mean x11/gdm just worked after installed x11/gnome3 or you have the same problem with mine without x11/gnome3?

If that so, then x11/gdm needs x11/gnome3 from now on, although it is not in its dependency. I just wonder why with x11/slim everything just works.

I mean x11/gdm seemed to work okay for me after installing x11/gnome, editing /etc/rc.conf to enable gdm and restarting the computer. After logging in from gdm I got a black screen for about thirty to sixty seconds after which the desktop appeared. While the screen was black I temporarily switched to the console to see if there were any error messages and saw the same warning you mentioned in your earlier post.

Hi,
I am having same problem. I installed xorg, that went smooth. I installed gnome3, that also ran successfully. After that I have made the recommended changes to /etc/rc.conf. So when I reboot, I was expecting gnome login to show-up, but instead it takes me to regular welcome screen with root login. I also made edits to ~/.xinitrc and called #startx, it shows a blank screen. What's going on? please help!
Thanks,

Back