Solved C compiler cannot create executables

In general (and usually) it means that you're missing certain required (development) libraries.

But we really need more context to be able and get a good idea as to what could be causing all this. Which FreeBSD version, which compiler, and so on...

Nope, I found the problem: gcc 4.8 did not create a file for gcc, I had to create it manually using ln -s to gcc48

Thanks anyway.

Just a tip; although GCC is an excellent compiler do keep in mind that Clang (for example lang/clang34) is a preferred compiler on FreeBSD these days as well. In comparison to the older GCC 4 I think you may even see a nice performance increase as well.

As said; just a tip ;)

That's correct, if that link would have been created by the port in the first place it would have never happened.

It is less likely to be such an obvious bug in the port and more likely to be a misunderstanding. Have you entered a bug report or contacted the port maintainer?

Thinking about it, I don't think this is a bug. The reason it's called gcc48 is that it's possible to have more than one version installed. If the software being built is from ports, the system will handle that. Unported software should try to use cc rather than gcc, or at least try it first.

In my case, I don't have multiple versions of gcc installed. It came like that when I did a pkg install gcc, I posted this in their forum so they know.

You don't need to have multiple versions of gcc installed. As wblock@ mentioned, this behavior is likely intended. Certain ports need different versions of gcc installed to build correctly.

Back