general/other WINE, mesa-dri, and also Win16

Trying to get WINE working, and it looks like I have a mesa issue. Despite being up to date it now appears to be using llvmpipe rather than a card driver and recent WINE programs using Direct3D crash (they're fine in Linux, same WINE version).

Before I start faffing around, is there much easily accessible documentation on fixing your mesa configuration, there doesn't seem to be any real mention in the handbook
Surely WINE programs shouldn't be crashing regardless of the mesa configuration? It appears far too easy to have mesa-dri out of sync with other components.
Also trying to run some (rather old) 16 bit programs and it's failing saying it can't map address space, presuming Win16 support is not enabled?

I am seeing success with DirectDraw games and some old OpenGL games, but I don't know how it's doing the actual rendering for them.

This system is slightly unusual because it has three graphics cards in it, two being used for PCI passthrough and owned by the pptdevs driver. Only one is used for dri, and X/Wayland appear to be working fine, but I'm presuming the card detection logic is broken in some parts of mesa.

By a coincidence I was also going to run old Infocom games(!). It also answers my question when I instead tried installing them under OS/2 instead : I thought they're Windows 16 bit programs, but they're not, they're DOS programs. In which case DOSBox/DosBox-X is the appropriate option.

Windows 16 bit programs such as Skifree are working fine when I try them now

Of course Infocom games are one of the worst options to try under Wine, even if they are Windows programs, given the number of native Z machine interpreters out there.

If they are DOS games/programs, it is better to use emulators/dosbox instead of wine. As far I remember, wine on FreeBSD is, by default, compiled without Dosbox support, that's why they are not working here.

OK - *some* 3D apps now appears to be working, and the debug shows the mesa setup seems to be correct. Others still fail with access violations. Guess I'm going to have to learn how debugging works.

Back