Solved Win98 from within FreeBSD to run a specific app

Hello, I'd like to ask for some guidance about whether something is doable and will be running effectively. If yes, I will try to tinker with it, if not, I will look for an alternative. Please note that I have no experience with virtualization whatsoever, but will happy to learn it on my own, if it actually solves my problem. :)

1) Is it possible to run Win98 from within FreeBSD in a straight-forward way? ("Straight-forward way" – I mean, would setting it up be more or less straight-forward? Or does it require a long and painful configuration?)
2) If yes, will Win98 start up quickly on a 10-year laptop with i5 2.60 GHz? And approximately how much RAM will it use?

The background for my question is that I have a digital Polish dictionary that I absolutely love. It is from early 2000s and of course meant for Windows. I would like to have it available on FreeBSD.

I tried to run it from Wine, but unfortunately it didn't work. Wine does not understand DLL that the dictionary uses, even though (or maybe because...) I pointed Wine directly to the DLL.

I tried to read the binary file with the dictionary data, thinking of extracting it, but it is way too convoluted for me.

The brute-force solution would be to make a Python-script that browses "manually" through the entire dictionary on Windows (like an user would), copy-pastes each page, and prints it to a separate text file. Then I would write som scripts to move around these files from within FreeBSD or Linux in general. It will work, but is rather inelegant.

And suddenly I thought that maybe I could run the dictionary natively, that is, from Win98, but from within FreeBSD.

I see several options here ...

First of all, wine is often very successful running even very old windows software. You might just have to configure it correctly? There are modes available for windows versions even back to 2.x and 3.x, of course including Windows-98. (edit, plus what SirDice said while I was still writing ...)

Then, there's emulators/dosbox-x which should be able to run a "real" Windows-98 without too much overhead.

If this both fails, there are of course virtual machines, you could try for example emulators/virtualbox, maybe it would even work with bhyve? :-/

You probably need to enable 32 bit in Wine. Windows 98 was never 64 bit.
Insane! Thank you, it worked. It was a case of missing DLL and 32-bit architecture. I installed the DLL immediately, but did not understand that I have to change the architecture setting as well, because error messages never mentioned 32-vs-64 bit issue. Actually, it works better now than on modern Windows, because it renders all characters properly. :)

My two original questions are kind of still standing, but I change the thread to SOLVED nonetheless. :)

Back