Why it's so complicated

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but it might be useful to take a backup of your system shall you ever need to repeat the process. My installs are fully automated using bsdsetup-install, but even if you take a snapshot of your home directory and /etc or /usr/local/etc and put it on another drive, you'll save yourself a headache in the future.

The hardest part is getting setup, once you got that, then the rest is cake though the devil is in the details.

I personally feel that people do themselves a disservice by jumping to login managers
I don't mind using TTY, any thought!
Start with startx. Do you see any obvious error messages?
Check the Xorg log (/var/log/Xorg.0.log). Do you see any obvious error messages?
that's what bothers me the most really
obviously, that's an obvious error message and obviously i don't know what's mean or how to deal with it that's why I'm asking help from those really good gentlemen's
Oddly I can't see any of this necessary debugging information on this thread. Am I missing it? I have scanned through a number of times.
I'll be grateful for anything
FreeBSD is not particularly complicated; you just need to go through the motions, not rush, aim to do things correctly and avoid taking shortcuts
Hmmm...yeh actuality I'm trying and taking my time and i start reading some books about FreeBSD (unusually for me) and i think now i know how to solve that obvious error at least for me and thank you for that advice 🙂

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned it, but it might be useful to take a backup of your system shall you ever need to repeat the process. My installs are fully automated using bsdsetup-install, but even if you take a snapshot of your home directory and /etc or /usr/local/etc and put it on another drive, you'll save yourself a headache in the future.

The hardest part is getting setup, once you got that, then the rest is cake though the devil is in the details.
I can use this after base installation
beadm activate / beadm create
And after I have DE/WM I can use
zpool / zfs snapshot
Right !!!

… know how and why (learning something new)

👍 and have a record of things.

For whenever you're at a console (without windowing):

… you might like script(1). …

If you methodically set aside each typescript file from a script command, you'll have (for yourself) a record of things that you got right, and wrong, over time. Like,

mv typescript /mnt/removable/2022-03-18\ 09.03.00\ typescript.txt

The removable drive might be a USB flash drive. Whatever's most convenient to you.

obviously, that's an obvious error message and obviously i don't know what's mean or how to deal with it that's why I'm asking help
That's fair. So if possible can you upload that Xorg.log file to the thread as an attachment so we can advise you from there (otherwise the best *we* can do is guess!).

Likewise, when you run startx, what does it say? This one you might have to copy word for word unless you are familiar with redirecting output or using tools like script. Luckily it is less long than the Xorg.log.

I can use this after base installation
beadm activate / beadm create
And after I have DE/WM I can use
zpool / zfs snapshot
Right !!!

Yes, this works. I use BE's too in conjunction with regular snapshots for my other volumes (projects / media). That lets me replicate the data quickly and easily.

The hard part is automating to your liking... I want a bare KDE desktop, but everything compiled with all possible options enabled, and be upgradeable. And yes, I want Wayland, too. This has me on a time-consuming automation project since June of '21. 😩 I've been fighting with git, poudriere, self-signed SSL certs, and yes, ZFS, too. All that stuff can be put together to work in concert, but actually pulling something like that off to make a turnkey installation is a different matter altogether.

👍 and have a record of things.

For whenever you're at a console (without windowing):

If you methodically set aside each transcript file from a script command, you'll have (for yourself) a record of things that you got right, and wrong, over time. Like,

mv transcript /mnt/removable/2022-03-18\ 09.03.00\ transcript.txt

The removable drive might be a USB flash drive. Whatever's most convenient to you.
I'm lost here sorry I don't understand

I can explain with this code snippet: (it makes use of script(1), which is invoked by the script command:
Code:
% cd $HOME
% script
Script started, output file is typescript
% date
Tue Jan  5 15:08:10 UTC 2021
% exit
Script done,    output file is typescript
% cat ./typescript
Script started on Tue Jan  5    15:08:08 2021
% date
 % exit
Script done on Tue Jan  5 15:08:13 2021

That code snippet has been ripped straight out of the manpage. I do strongly recommend becoming familiar with the man command. A lot of people will just say RTFM, but around here, you can ask for help connecting the dots. I do that all the time, so I can tell you, that works. :)

can u tell me how pls and I'll upload it
Can you mount a fat32 formatted usb stick and then copy the Xorg log onto it.

Code:
# mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
# cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt
# umount /mnt

Then use a working PC to plug it in and attach to forum post. Awkward workflow but might be best for now.
Hmm, this one is quite interesting. The log will be useful to see what kind of driver it is using but from a guess it looks like it is trying to use the scfb X11 driver without the underlying kernel driver being able to support your hardware. We will ideally want to be using a vendor driver (I am assuming for you it is nvidia) or modesetting.

As a guess, you might be able to run with the vesa driver (for now, just to get something on screen). Put the following into an empty /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Device0"
  Driver "vesa"
EndSection

vesa is what your VirtualBox install is using by default (until you install guest additions). One caveat is that you may need to boot the PC from BIOS (CSM) rather than (U)EFI.

Finally, if you have installed the nvidia driver (and your card is NVidia, not entirely clear from previous posts), then try with this in the xorg.conf file and send us the startx output and the log.

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Device0"
  Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Depending on this we just need to kldload the nvidia or nvidia-modeset kernel drivers (don't confuse with the X11 driver called nvidia, you basically need both. Think of the X11 one as a frontend driver gluing between X11 and the backend driver).

Immediately after installing FreeBSD alone: if not in a virtual machine (e.g. VirtualBox), there's nothing like a GUI application to take screenshots.

To keep a record of what's on screen, whilst you learn, any one of these three approaches:
  • use the script command (demonstrated by astyle) to record keystrokes and more in a typescript file
  • take photographs, or traditional recordings with a camcorder, although these might not capture all of what's important
  • use the command line as described in the topic below.

(Where I previously wrote transcript, it was a mistake. The correct filename is typescript.)

you may need to boot the PC from BIOS (CSM) rather than (U)EFI
I don't know what CSM but when I try to install the OS from non UEFI legacy it works for me and I've been through the last knight with a lot of trouble I forget to manage 1st and 2nd boot manual so after reboot PC doesn't boot only black screen I somehow figure how to reset bios but ill install it again with UEFI and try to upload xorg file if i can i really want to know what's the issue

I don't know what CSM
CSM is Compatibility Support Module. It basically allows UEFI to emulate a traditional standard BIOS.
This is often required for the vesa fallback driver to work.

UEFI is the (IMO unfortunate) future so ultimately we do want that to work eventually but we can leave that until we get the nvidia vendor driver in place.

I can explain with this code snippet: (it makes use of script(1), which is invoked by the script command:
Code:
% cd $HOME
% script
Script started, output file is typescript
% date
% exit
Script done,    output file is typescript
% cat ./typescript
Script started on Tue Jan  5    15:08:08 2021
% date
 % exit
Script done on Tue Jan  5 15:08:13 2021

That code snippet has been ripped straight out of the manpage. I do strongly recommend becoming familiar with the man command. A lot of people will just say RTFM, but around here, you can ask for help connecting the dots. I do that all the time, so I can tell you, that works. :)
I will try to understand and become familiar with, Thank you 😇

then i reboot and change 1st boot to the 1disk when i open usb stick it was empty i have only 1 PC
You did the steps absolutely correctly. There was a typo in the path (the darn browser spellcheck changed /var/log/ to var/local).

This set of commands should be correct.

Code:
# mount -t msdosfs /dev/da0s1 /mnt
# cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log /mnt
# umount /mnt

Back