which Virtual machine do I use in Linux to try FreeBSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use VirtualBox on a FreeBSD host with FreeBSD and OpenBSD guests. Using a bridged adapter works perfectly fine for connecting to the Internet. Installing xorg from ports doesn't take long.

ScottishGirl said:
Never, I repeat NEVER install FreeBSD on VirtualBox! It has taken me over five hours, yes F-i-v-e hours to just install xorg, Firefox and Gnome. Xorg took over 90 minutes, Firefox took over 70 minutes and Gnome? Well I started installing that over TWO hours ago and it is still running, still showing absolutely no sign of stopping! When oh when for the love of God will this installation end?
It's not just on virtualbox. ;) Gnome especially takes forever. I recommend multitasking. Much easier like so:

If you want to code up an improved package system that does sha256 of the packages, I would be glad to use it. Until then, I think ports is the best way to have some assurance that you are installing something legit. And if you are going to compile gnome on linux, it will surely take approximately the same amount of time I'm sure, e.g. in Gentoo. Installing a pre-compiled package vs. compiling software from source is apples to oranges.

I have had three years dedicated Linux experience so I am not a stranger to unix like OSes. But if the FreeBSD people want to expand their user base and break into the Desktop market then they are going to have to provide an iso that comes with xorg and Gnome/KDE ready to work straight out of the box. Having to manually install these very basic yet essential things will completely terrify and alienate all Windows users.
At the moment FreeBSD is installing Totem. I installed Ubuntu 10.10 and downloaded and installed everything in about 70 minutes. Someone please tell me that this excruciating installation process is worth it?!
You could always try PC-BSD. I really doubt any FreeBSD devs are overly concerned about desktop domination. If it will happen to something free, it is much more likely that it will be Ubuntu that makes it. Or OSX, considered that it is built on FreeBSD AFAIK. Though I run a FreeBSD workstation that is setup like a desktop system, kind of, it's as much to get my hands dirty learning so that I can run FreeBSD servers. It's hard work, but there are features of FreeBSD that I suspect will make the hard work pay off.

ScottishGirl said:
Never, I repeat NEVER install FreeBSD on VirtualBox! It has taken me over five hours, yes F-i-v-e hours to just install xorg, Firefox and Gnome.

The difference between packages and ports is explained in the Handbook. If you're not the sort of person who likes documentation, or if you can't differentiate between a GUI and an OS, or between binaries and source, or you expect FreeBSD to be another Linux, prepare for disappointment. If you approach FreeBSD without Linuxy preconceptions, and perhaps about 38% less drama, it's a great OS that makes a great desktop.

The OP's topic was solved ages ago, and this has gone dramatically off-topic. Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back