Using openssl-devel instead of openssl

When i want to install openssl-devel the system wants to remove 1300 packages.
Can I recompile all those packages and force to use openssl-devel instead of openssl ?
By putting somewhere a parameter in make.conf ?

Can I recompile all those packages and force to use openssl-devel instead of openssl ?
By putting somewhere a parameter in make.conf ?
It looks like openssl-devel isn't an option.
Code:
# Possible values: base, openssl, libressl, libressl-devel
But, setting it does actually work
Code:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= ssl=openssl-devel
That's to say, the ports system will pick it up correctly, but you could see a lot of build errors on various ports as they may or may not be compatible with it.

I think I'll just wait a bit longer as I have dovecot,mariadb,postgresql,unbound.
Yes, I would suggest waiting for the dust to settle before blindly updating your production systems. If you want to try it then do so on a couple test systems. Did you set up a Poudriere repository? You could create a second repository with openssl-devel set as the default to see how things are going. That will allow you to test things without interfering with your 'production' repository.

It's not because something compiles without a problem that the working of it is without a problem. So we are lacking currently information.

It's not because something compiles without a problem that the working of it is without a problem.
True, just because it compiles and builds correctly doesn't mean it'll actually work. But if you set up a test repository you can test the resulting packages on a test system too. A lot of professional environments use DTAP cycles for this. Although you don't have a development cycle you can still follow the TAP part of it. You test your stuff on test systems (just making sure nothing breaks), then do acceptance tests (basically running tests with real-world data on a copy of your production system) before you put something out in production.

Good idea. I'm going to set up a "Development" environment next to an "Acceptance" environment.
In one jail I run poudriere with openssl-devel ("Development"), in another jail with openssl ("Acceptance").
When a change in default version works in "Development" i can add it "Acceptance".
When updating the system ("Production") i need just to point "/usr/local/etc/pkg/repos/Local.conf" to the correct nginx jailed server.
Currently starting compiling 2500 ports with openssl-devel. I'm really curieus about the result.
As an experiment I also disabled TLS1.0 & TLS 1.1

Back