Upgraded from 10.3 to 13.1 - not sure if fully successful, halp!

I recently powered up an old server from 2018 which was apparently running 10.3-release. I pretty much have zero memory on maintaining FreeBSD systems, so obviously performing a gung-ho upgrade using 'freebsd-update' seemed the right way forward...

So uname is reporting 13.1-release now. There was a notice about upgrading installed software due to shared libs. I ignored this and just ran 'freebsd-update install' again.

Bash:
ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libssl.so.7" not found, required by "pkg"

Now I am not sure if I have a high integrity installation - is it complete, I am not sure. If I run 'pkg', I get a shared lib error. This server was only used as a Plex media server.

Perhaps it'd just be quicker to nuke the boot vol and reinstall? I am sure the Plex installation is waaaay out of date too.

I have imported my zpool and upgraded, that seems to be working.

Taunt me, but help me. Thx.

Ut oh. Suspect upgrading my zroot may have broken something. I'm not familiar with this bootloader. Any advice appreciated.

20220829_093933.jpg

Suspect upgrading my zroot may have broken something.
Yes. You should have updated your boot loader before upgrading the zpool. Your old 10.3 bootloader won't be able to recognize the new OpenZFS from 13.x.

You can update that bootloader using a 13.1 install media. Just boot that and drop to the shell. Depending on how the system is booted (UEFI or CSM boot) you need to update the freebsd-boot or efi partition.

Yes. You should have updated your boot loader before upgrading the zpool. Your old 10.3 bootloader won't be able to recognize the new OpenZFS from 13.x.

You can update that bootloader using a 13.1 install media. Just boot that and drop to the shell. Depending on how the system is booted (UEFI or CSM boot) you need to update the freebsd-boot or efi partition.

Thanks, could you please provide clarity on what the file update could look like?

Edit: reading this now:

That was a lesson I learned a long time ago using ZFS root. If you don't do a "zpool upgrade" the old boot loader should be able boot, BUT I think 13.x was special case because of the switch from FreeBSD Native ZFS to OpenZFS2.0.
My general practice is now to read the Release notes 3 times, and update the boot loader before doing zpool upgrade. It's easy to write "a new boot loader that can be backwards compatible" but you can't make an old bootloader aware of things not around when it was written (in general, you can try and plan for it, but you almost always run across something you missed).

My general practice is now to read the Release notes 3 times, and update the boot loader before doing zpool upgrade. It's easy to write "a new boot loader that can be backwards compatible" but you can't make an old bootloader aware of things not around when it was written (in general, you can try and plan for it, but you almost always run across something you missed).
Yeah, there's "backward compatibility", never "forward compatibility".

Reactions: mer
Back