Ubuntu follows Debian to Systemd

jb_fvwm2 said:
So FreeBSD may someday be obligated-not-by-choice to migrate to systemd? Or maybe there is a workaround to be coded?

Absolutely not because of wrong license (GPL). Apple's launchd is more likely candidate:

Thread 43899

2c. The "other" Unix platforms should just not do what Linux does, and either do their own thing, or attempt to be more compatible with OS X.

Love or hate apple, much of what they have done with OS X has been "the right way" (IMHO), and I suspect that if OS X wins the Unix desktop war (and at this point, it looks pretty clear), working similarly on the back end (or even as a complementary / competitor desktop) will be a lot more attractive than the basket-case that is the Linux environment.

Just because Linux is doing something is irrelevant, really.

throAU said:
Love or hate apple, much of what they have done with OS X has been "the right way" (IMHO), and I suspect that if OS X wins the Unix desktop war (and at this point, it looks pretty clear), working similarly on the back end (or even as a complementary / competitor desktop) will be a lot more attractive than the basket-case that is the Linux environment.
Given that iOS is also OS-X with some other eye-candy, it would be pretty save to say that they already won the Unix Desktop war. And I agree with you here that they did the right things. I have not really used it (last MacOS I 'used' was 9.x, IIRC), but from what I read and hear it is going in the right direction. Now, if they would also catch up in the FS department, it would be even better. Shame the ZFS did not work out for them :(
Just because Linux is doing something is irrelevant, really.
Not quite - you may find that, if something is done in Linux, it is worth checking it even harder before use than other solutions. I would not include the kernel here at this moment - but wait. Did they not put DBUS into kernel space now? Does this sound like a good idea to anyone here?

Not quite - you may find that, if something is done in Linux, it is worth checking it even harder before use than other solutions. I would not include the kernel here at this moment - but wait. Did they not put DBUS into kernel space now? Does this sound like a good idea to anyone here?

Red Hat simply became too dominating. It's not just systemd, they also got their drones in KDE. (Gnome anyway, but we have known that since years that Red Hat controls Gnome; see the many complaints about Gnome 3, see how the real spirit of Gnome 2 became mate)

I remember a hilarious conversation from #kde how someone praised systemd when a few people wrote that they disliked it. I then realized that the guy who did so was from Red Hat. I pointed out the conflict of interest he has as Red Hat employee - he thought that no such conflict of interest exists, pointing out that his opinion has nothing to do with his job. :>

You can't even trust the Red Hat drones out there.

The good thing is that you may eventually get a lot of old-time Linux users who refuse to follow the systemd bandwagon. Aside from the FUD and propaganda, there is no technical advantage that systemd has. Their services? I can get everything started with my own scripts, just as I have done so the last 10 years. Of course I don't use shell scripts, I am not crazy - I use Ruby.

I wonder, why the community insists on trailing behind Linux DEs' instead of helping with Lumina development. Is it a C++ thing?

Shame the ZFS did not work out for them :(
Well apparently Apple lawyers don't feel as comfortable with CDDL as FreeBSD crew. Even a rumour of Oracle law suit against the FreeBSD Foundation will be an instant dead sentence to the whole FreeBSD project.

Even a rumour of Oracle law suit against the FreeBSD Foundation will be an instant dead sentence to the whole FreeBSD project.
I think this is unlikely. The big time users of FreeBSD would need to make a business decision and check what the price might be to switch to, say, Ubuntu. Users like NetFlix, for example. It would then make a good bussiness decision for them to spend $1 less than that sum as a donation for any legal batttle for the FreeBSD foundation as that would save them one dollar. Oracle would find the target not as soft as they might have thought, and then their PR department would also tell them that this battle draws a lot of bad publicity in their direction. Oracle should, prior to any such law suit, check for the outcome in terms of game theory.

All of that depends on rational thinking management, of course ;)

I thought Oracle could sue only if the actual implementation infringes on their patents. Wasn't this part of the formation of the OpenZFS project in the first place? I know FreeBSDs' implementation of ZFS is quite different than the others.

Back