Subversion

Subversion or svnlite is no longer available to dowload ports and system source code? Is it no longer possible to update with your subversion of the above in FreeBSD 13?

Subversion or svnlite is no longer available to dowload ports and system source code?
Ports, no, only git now. For the system sources, anything up to 12.x is still availabe on SVN until the end-of-life of 12. From 13.0 and onward it's only git.

Ports, no, only git now. For the system sources, anything up to 12.x is still availabe on SVN until the end-of-life of 12. From 13.0 and onward it's only git.
And why did they remove it for FreeBSD 13, for the use of the common non-professional user in the world ?

The transition to git was announced a long time ago. Documentation was migrated first, then sources and lastly ports. Everything has moved to git, only 12.x is still also maintained in SVN because that was used during its release cycle. For 13.0 there never was a release in SVN, so there's no requirement for keeping it in SVN.

If you're talking about the actual tools; svnlite(1) is still available in 13.0-RELEASE but will be removed in a future version. devel/subversion is still available in ports if you need it. You just can't use it anymore to update ports and/or your sources.

If you're talking about the actual tools; svnlite(1) is still available in 13.0-RELEASE but will be removed in a future version. devel/subversion is still available in ports if you need it. You just can use it anymore to update ports and/or your sources.
Neither one, nor the other, works anymore in FreeBSD 13.

# svnlite update /usr/ports
Code:
Skipped '/usr/ports'
svn: E155007: None of the targets are working copies
 #

# svn update /usr/src
Code:
Skipped '/usr/src'
svn: E155007: None of the targets are working copies
#

The tool itself works just fine, but as I said, you can't use it to update your ports or source tree anymore. Ports tree and sources for 13.0 have all moved to git.

(looks like I made a typo and used "can" when it should have been "can't")

The tool itself works just fine, but as I said, you can't use it to update your ports or source tree anymore. Ports tree and sources for 13.0 have all moved to git.

(looks like I made a typo and used "can" when it should have been "can't")
With svnup, can I download the latest version of the ports or source code? I don't know what your procedure would be.

you can only follow 12-STABLE with svnup
but you can use gitup from ports which works the same way as svnup/cvsup

With svnup, can I download the latest version of the ports or source code? I don't know what your procedure would be.
The usual procedure with git is generally quite similar to the svn approach. Some docs here.

Code:
# git clone https://git.FreeBSD.org/ports.git /usr/ports

And from then on, you can update it via:

Code:
# cd /usr/ports
# git pull

The Git repo uses quite a bit more disk space because it pretty much mirrors the entire repo. For that you can use depth to specify a "shallow clone". For example:

Code:
# git clone --depth 1 https://git.FreeBSD.org/ports.git /usr/ports

In the branch for FreeBSD head, it still works in the previous method, what is the difference for the releng/13.0 and base/head branch? And the system when it is just installed, what source code branch does it bring?

$ freebsd-version
Code:
13.0-RELEASE-p2
$

And why did they remove it for FreeBSD 13, for the use of the common non-professional user in the world ?
The move was done without much consideration for non-developers. The net/gitup port wants replace svnlite(1) in function, but it's not very mature yet.

Also, consider the irony that just as FreeBSD is proudly removing GPLed code from the base system, it switches to a GPL-only development tool ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been using the script written by Chris Wells Using Quarterly Ports on FreeBSD to keep my ports tree in sync with the quarterly branch (this allows, in theory, for more seamless mixing of ports and packages should the need arise -- not that it has yet). Is there a method to determine which git commit the quarterly branch of ports is on so we can clone that, and remain with it, rather than what's current?

Is there a method to determine which git commit the quarterly branch of ports is on so we can clone that, and remain with it, rather than what's current?
They're branches. Just switch to the correct branch; git checkout 2021Q2

The move was done without much consideration for non-developers. The net/gitup port wants replace svnlite(1) in function, but it's not very mature yet.

Also, consider the irony that just as FreeBSD is proudly removing GPLed code from the base system, it switches to a GPL-only development tool ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
GitHub is not owned by microsoft ? Who knows what alliances can be there and what kind of free software can be deposited there.

GitHub is not owned by microsoft ? Who knows what alliances can be there and what kind of free software can be deposited there.
  • GitHub is owned by Microsoft
  • Bitbucket is owned by Atlassian
Neither own Git. Don't give Microsoft the satisfaction to think that some people believe that they control (or really have anything to do with) the current most popular VCS.

Yeah, GitHub.com is owned by Microsoft, but there's also GitLab.com, which is not. The way Git is designed, there's nothing short of money preventing you from starting your own server of publicly hosted master git repos that can be cloned or whatever. FWIW, GNU and FSF host their own, no problem. Getting started with git does not come with a requirement for a github.com account.

Yeah, GitHub.com is owned by Microsoft, but there's also GitLab.com, which is not. The way Git is designed, there's nothing short of money preventing you from starting your own server of publicly hosted master git repos that can be cloned or whatever. FWIW, GNU and FSF host their own, no problem. Getting started with git does not come with a requirement for a github.com account.
I don't know, on the FreshPorts page for FreeBSD, it says this:

Code:
gitup Minimalist, dependency-free program to clone/pull git repositories
0.94 net =3      0.90_1
Maintainer: eduardo@FreeBSD.org
Port Added: 2020-12-29 12:53:29
Last Update: 2021-05-19 09:43:54
Commit Hash: af901d8
People watching this port, also watch:: redis, portmaster, postfix, smartmontools, php74
License: BSD2CLAUSE
Description:
A minimalist, dependency-free FreeBSD program to clone/pull git repositories. Intended for non-developers, gitup synchronizes local copies of repositories without the additional overhead that the official git client requires. Because gitup neither uses nor updates the contents of .git directories, the official git client should not be used on repositories cloned or modified with gitup.

WWW: https://github.com/johnmehr/gitup

I don't know, on the FreshPorts page for FreeBSD, it says this:

Code:
gitup Minimalist, dependency-free program to clone/pull git repositories
0.94 net =3      0.90_1
Maintainer: eduardo@FreeBSD.org
Port Added: 2020-12-29 12:53:29
Last Update: 2021-05-19 09:43:54
Commit Hash: af901d8
People watching this port, also watch:: redis, portmaster, postfix, smartmontools, php74
License: BSD2CLAUSE
Description:
A minimalist, dependency-free FreeBSD program to clone/pull git repositories. Intended for non-developers, gitup synchronizes local copies of repositories without the additional overhead that the official git client requires. Because gitup neither uses nor updates the contents of .git directories, the official git client should not be used on repositories cloned or modified with gitup.

WWW: https://github.com/johnmehr/gitup

Github.com accounts are generally free, which is why people got them. If you don't like the fact that github.com is owned by Microsoft, nothing prevents you from moving your project to another server. Just remember to do your announcements to the supply chain that you're part of. FWIW, audio/lash is hosted at http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/lash.git, even though the FreeBSD port does not have a maintainer.

Also - Linus Torvalds, the very guy who invented git in the first place, uses github.com, even though he famously is not a fan of Microsoft.

Github.com accounts are generally free, which is why people got them. If you don't like the fact that github.com is owned by Microsoft, nothing prevents you from moving your project to another server. Just remember to do your announcements to the supply chain that you're part of. FWIW, audio/lash is hosted at http://git.savannah.nongnu.org/cgit/lash.git, even though the FreeBSD port does not have a maintainer.
I am not a party to anything nor do I make any announcements, I just report here something related to FreeBSD, because I would prefer to use the system on the latest releng/13.0 branch, to have the system up to date with the latest repositories, and not present any vulnerability to the security of the system, as it happens with the quarterly repositories.

I do not have this installed nor do I need it:

# pkg info -D audio/lash
Code:
pkg: No package(s) matching audio/lash
#

I am not a party to anything nor do I make any announcements, I just report here something related to FreeBSD, because I would prefer to use the system on the latest releng/13.0 branch, to have the system up to date with the latest repositories, and not present any vulnerability to the security of the system, as it happens with the quarterly repositories.

I do not have this installed nor do I need it:

# pkg info -D audio/lash
Code:
pkg: No package(s) matching audio/lash
#
Re-read comments by SirDice ... Subversion will generally work on your system, but you can't use it to track active FreeBSD development any more.

In base/current it does work, I already tried it.
That's because it's base/current, not 13-release. Apparently, somebody did not bother to disable subversion on the server that serves up base/current. Different branches.
The transition to git was announced a long time ago. Documentation was migrated first, then sources and lastly ports. Everything has moved to git, only 12.x is still also maintained in SVN because that was used during its release cycle. For 13.0 there never was a release in SVN, so there's no requirement for keeping it in SVN.

GitTransition - FreeBSD Wiki

To an extent, though many places I have dealt with just use sshd as the "git server". So arguably we could say that git's backend derives from OpenBSD's work.

Plus you could use the devel/got client (again from the BSD side).

To an extent, though many places I have dealt with just use sshd as the "git server". So arguably we could say that git's backend derives from OpenBSD's work.

Plus you could use the devel/got client (again from the BSD side).
Can you inform how to proceed with the download and update of the sources and ports?

Back