Solved Source Code for boot or bootloader?

Hello everyone!

I installed all the source code for FreeBSD 13.0 (i386) and successfully compiled the first custom kernel...
While reading the book: FreeBSD Architecture Handbook, оn the eighth page of this PDF edition, I see the listing code figure for
/sys/boot/i386/boot0/boot0.S.
I wanted to look at the source of this code but I can't find this /boot/i386/boot0/ folder anywhere on the system.
How and where can I find and install the source code for boot and bootloader?

Last edited by a moderator:
Grepping FreeBSD 12.2 source:
Code:
:~ # find /usr/src -name boot0
/usr/src/stand/i386/boot0

:~ # ls -lS /usr/src/stand/i386/boot0
total 32
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  21465 Oct 22  2020 boot0.S
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   2660 Oct 22  2020 Makefile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    260 Oct 22  2020 Makefile.depend

Code:
:~ # find /usr/src -name boot0
/usr/src/stand/i386/boot0

:~ # ls -lS /usr/src/stand/i386/boot0
total 32
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  21465 Oct 22  2020 boot0.S
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   2660 Oct 22  2020 Makefile
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    260 Oct 22  2020 Makefile.depend
Thanks a lot!

Thank You for being new and having read the book.
Things do change and this directory location is one of them.

Thank You for being new and having read the book.
Things do change and this directory location is one of them.
Thank you for such a warm welcome! It's nice to be here and even better to study and admire such a good BSD distribution code through the decades!

Related to this topic ...

I know it is not modest to brag here, especially if I am a beginner, but I want to share with you the joy of my first contribution to our community.

Here is the first post I wrote on the forum and the first topic I opened. I wanted to correct what confused me when I started reading the FreeBSD Architecture Handbook: boot chapter. Namely, as you can see here, I didn't know how to find the path to the boot folder ... This document dates from 2014. I dared to try to update this document according to the current stable version.

In addition to the updated code that has changed since version 10, the most noticeable change is the path to the boot folder: /usr/src/stand/ ...

My Pull Request via GitHub, after many days of correcting, tweaking, and assistance by contributors was approved today and the commit was pushed (954bbba). The changes are already visible in the document. I am overjoyed and this gives me the inspiration to contribute even more and better to the community according to my abilities.

Excuse me if this seemed like bragging!

Back