radeon hd 4250 3d acceleration, dri, drm and all that?

That would explain slow 3D, but not slow 2D. I believe there is a separate ports tree that has newer Xorg/Mesa components that might give you accelerated 3D, but I don't know much about it. The freebsd-x11 mailing list archives probably mentions it.

Adam

Everyone, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for starting this thread and posting the great advice here. I have spent the last 78 hours on two different machines trying to get this to work, and thanks to the advice in this thread, I have finally gotten it to work correctly.

Once again,

Thank you all.

ring_zero said:
Everyone, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for starting this thread and posting the great advice here. I have spent the last 78 hours on two different machines trying to get this to work, and thanks to the advice in this thread, I have finally gotten it to work correctly.

Excellent! If you could post a summary of what was needed, it might help the next person with the same problem. Thanks!

Summary

To sum it up:
  1. Edit /etc/make.conf and add the line
    Code:
    WITHOUT_NOUVEAU=YES
  2. Build the module: # cd /usr/src/sys/modules/drm/radeon && make && make install
  3. Load the module (*): # kldload radeon
  4. Install the port: # cd /usr/ports/graphics/dri && make && make install
  5. Check that GLX is enabled: $ glxinfo | grep OpenGL Check that "Software Rasterizer" is no longer present in the Rendering string. Instead you should have something like this: ATI Radeon HD 4250

* I had to build and load the module first in order to get mesa to build. It would not do so otherwise.

I did not run into the pciid issue.

Back