Solved Quarterly made the system broken, XFCE or Nvidia.

Hi Guys,

couldn't login into XFCE today after the quarterly upgrade.
I thought it was because the Nvidia driver but even a stateless Xorg made impossible load XFCE after the login through LightDM.
Now that I am writing I realized that I didn't try with startxfce4 or startx, my first thought was to check if someone else had the same issue.

Perhaps the issue belong to XFCE or LightDM, what can I do to check where might be the real issue?

Thanks!

F.

I upgraded a system that is using nvidia-driver-470, startx and WindowMaker that is working fine.
My first step of debugging would be get to console, make sure the correct driver is loaded (kldstat | grep -i nvidia, pkg info | grep nvidia) and use startx or startxfce4. I like to keep an .xinitrc that has "exec xterm" as the last line for debugging. That will start X with just an xterm and you can go from there.

mer

I installed nvidia-drm-kmod and added this line: hv.nvidiadrm.modeset=1 to /boot/loader.conf and now the session starts fine.
However I don't have any idea if this is a coincidence, the right solution, or something else. 🤷‍♂️

Are the DRM needed to use the NVIDIA driver?

p.s. by the way I love WindowMaker! 🫶

mer as a matter of fact that wasn't the solution... 😓

I have this piece of code:

Code:
 cat /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-screen.conf.bkp 
Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "Stereo" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "DP-0: nvidia-auto-select +0+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}, DP-3: nvidia-auto-select +1920+0 {ForceCompositionPipeline=On, ForceFullCompositionPipeline=On}"
    Option         "SLI" "Off"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "Off"
    Option         "BaseMosaic" "off"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

That I have been using since 2016 seamlessly between Debian (GNU/Linux) and FreeBSD which decided do not work anymore with the latest Nvidia-Drivre.

Pebcak resolved... 🤓

Reactions: mer
Looks like nvidia-drm-kmod is version 550.54.14; I know my hardware doesn't work with that. I think it may be newer/different from the older binary blobs (it may work more like the i915kms kmod).
That could be why the file doesn't work.

Back