problem with konsole

I just installed 8.2 and need to set up some things, but every time I try to start a program other than sysinstall with the kde4 console as root it gives me message such as this:
Code:
kwrite: Command not found.

If I give it the full path it returns a message such as this:
Code:
No protocol specified
kwrite: cannot connect to X server :0

It works fine as my normal user but gives me a message such as this:
Code:
kwrite(1371)/kdeui (KIconLoader) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Failed to establish
 shared memory mapping, will fallback to private memory -- memor

I would log out and do it from the CLI but there's no way to get there. There is an item in the Kdm login screen but every time I choose it it says reboot and that just brings me back to the same place and trying again results in the same instruction message.

Could somebody please get me a root command line?

I may talk like I know a bit but I'm at the top level of my knowledge right now and I am no command line expert, so the easier to understand the better for me. You may have to be slightly patient. Sorry about that but thanks for any help ahead of time.

Oh and I know the the command line works as root in text mode or whatever you call the dos like looking environment because I had to used it to set up some things before I could get a Kde dsktop by following some very good instructions form a website called Rhyous, but I think I missed some things and need to fix them.

If you want to start e.g. kwrite as root you need to use a tool such as sysutils/gksu. Not sure about the KDE equivalent.

What exactly do you want to do? You can edit config files quite easy from the command line. Try ee(1) if you are unfamiliar with editors/vi.

So this is normal behavior?

I was afraid you were going to tell me something like that. Vi and ee are console based aren't they? Will gksu work in Kde?

I'd rather be able to use a "standard editor" if I could but if there is no choice I guess I'll have to learn command line editors.

Off the top of my head I can't remember everything I want to do but one of them is create and edit an xorg.conf because the proprietary Nvidia driver is not configured. I'm going to need to set up my sound card too.

Does anyone know why I can't drop down to the CLI from kdm?

scott_swinyard said:
So this is normal behavior?

I was afraid you were going to tell me something like that. Vi adn ee are console based isn't they?
Just try ee(1), it is not difficult. Just remember that ^ means CTRL.
Will gksu work in Kde?
Probably.
Does anyone know why I can't drop down to the cli from kdm?

CTRL+ALT+F2, these are available up till F8, and use CTRL+ALT+F9 to get back to KDM.

Yeah I tried the function keys. The only problem was that the xserver was still running anyway so I still couldn't do what I needed to.

scott_swinyard said:
I just installed 8.2 and need to set up some things, but every time I try to start a program other than sysinstall with the kde4 console as root it gives me message such as this:
Code:
kwrite: Command not found.

KDE isn't installed into the normal path. At least with ports it isn't. Instead you need to extend your path to contain the kde programs (for example by adding /usr/local/kde4/bin to your PATH definition in ~/.profile .

scott_swinyard said:
Code:
kwrite(1371)/kdeui (KIconLoader) KSharedDataCache::Private::mapSharedMemory: Failed to establish
 shared memory mapping, will fallback to private memory -- memor
Qt's SHM doesn't work with FreeBSD-8.x . Also, you can ignore that error - it won't turn into an functional decrease but only in a performance one instead.

scott_swinyard said:
Yeah I tried the function keys. The only problem was that the xserver was still running anyway so I still couldn't do what I needed to.
run service kdm stop or if that isn't registered, killall kdm as root.

Thanks for the reply.

KDE isn't installed into the normal path. At least with ports it isn't. Instead you need to extend your path to contain the kde programs (for example by adding /usr/local/kde4/bin to your PATH definition in ~/.profile .

That didn't help.

Qt's SHM doesn't work with FreeBSD-8.x . Also, you can ignore that error - it won't turn into an functional decrease but only in a performance one instead.

I don't know if this is relevant to what you are saying, but switching to bash in the terminal doesn't help either.

run service kdm stop or if that isn't registered, killall kdm as root.

With killall as soon as I hit enter it spontaneously returned to the login screen.

I had tried that with top before and it seemed as soon as I killed it it restarted.

With run service kdm stop it said kdm does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup directories. Kdm wasn't actually listed in top so I tried both kdm-bin and kdm-bin_greet (Or was it greeter. I don't remember) which were listed and got the same result.

I also notice that after running a terminal and closing it if I try to open it again it just pops up and immediately disappears. The only way to fix it is a complete reboot.

Back