Ports or Packages?

Hi all,
I have a question: How you are think, how is way the best?

I have information that install programs from the ports, they are compiled under the platform.

But I talked to the users of Gentoo Linux - and they asked me a question: Where and how do I set up the compilation options (which I have the processor, RAM, etc. all with regard to optimization)?

Then I thought - nowhere!
Perhaps the installation of ports, without the optimization, the same as installing a package.

Then I began to read. And prishol to the conclusion that the installation must be carried out not as:
Code:
# make && make install clean

and as:
Code:
# make

then go to the. / work directory and edit Makefile.
after:
Code:
# install clean

This is the correct method of optimization?
Or is it there is no difference between ports and packages? (in the end).
Or FreeBSD itself determines the type of device and optimizes its own?

First of all
# [b]make[/b] install clean
since the command is make and not install
The sequence like
Code:
# make clean
# make
# make install clean
also works well especially when one has problem with building for some reasons.

Install through packages is much faster and if I don't care about building options I'd rather use packages that were baked with default options.
However when packages are not available or I need to change some options the building from source is right choice. Sometimes a package doesn't go through for some reasons and then building from source can fix the problem.

Despite I know that many FreeBSD users on this forum always prefer source over packages, I don't see any sense to build the same packages myself spending lots of time for that.
For example as I know OpenBSD even doesn't recommend building from source at all and provides all the packages built for its users.

Ports that can benefit from custom CFLAGs and other optimizations generally set that themselves.

Editing a port after doing a make won't change what's already been built. To be effective, editing should be done after make patch.

Effectiveness of optimization varies. What are you trying to improve?

doorways said:
then go to the. / work directory and edit Makefile.
after:
Code:
# install clean

This is the correct method of optimization?
No.

If you wish to set certain compiler flags for every port build, use /etc/make.conf. If you wish to set other options, such as support for this or that, or to turn features on or off (note that not all ports have something to configure in the first place), type # make configWhen you run # make for the first time in a particular port's directory this is already done automatically, if there is anything to configure.

You shouldn't normally have any business in a port's work/ directory, unless you're modifying the source code itself and/or trying to fix a broken port.

Fonz

Originally Posted by wblock.
What are you trying to improve?

Nothing special. Just think what to install libreoffice of the ports (10 hour) where you can set of the packages (one hour ).

Thanks all. I understand!

doorways said:
Just think what to install libreoffice of the ports (10 hour) where you can set of the packages (one hour ).
Some things are indeed (for most people) better installed from packages than from ports. This includes KDE/GNOME, OpenOffice.Org/LibreOffice and such. Some say this also includes X.org, but personally I find that borderline.

Fonz

Back