pkg_add -r xorg stuck

Hi folks.

I am a newbie to FreeBSD. Today I have installed FreeBSD-8.2 under VMware Workstation 7.0. I used the disc1 image, not the dvd image. After successful installation, I was ready to install X11. I entered pkg_add -r xorg according to the handbook, but it stuck when fetching the xorg-doc package.

Firstly I thought that it was because of the network condition, however I could get the xorg-doc package on another machine using The Firefox browser. Hours later it still stuck there. :(. So is there a solution that make the pkg_add work quickly? Thanks in advance.

Best Regards

Jfhu

Try:
Code:
pkg_add -vr xorg
to see a verbose output of what really happens.

Alternatively, you could do "CTRL+T" to see what is the process doing at the time of "the stuck" or any any other time, for that matter.

da1 said:
Try:
Code:
pkg_add -vr xorg
to see a verbose output of what really happens.

Alternatively, you could do "CTRL+T" to see what is the process doing at the time of "the stuck" or any any other time, for that matter.
Thanks for your reply. Now I tried pkg_add -vr xorg. The output was some messages about the ftp connections saying the command connection and data connection was established. Then a line of "Fetch http://..../xorg.doc.." shown, and stuck there. After using 'CTRL +T', the output says that the process is waiting. No useful information. Is there anything to do with the FTP Protocol?

machinariumer said:
Is there anything to do with the FTP Protocol?
Yes, if you are behind a firewall you probably need to set FTP_PASSIVE_MODE.

SirDice said:
Yes, if you are behind a firewall you probably need to set FTP_PASSIVE_MODE.
Thanks for your reply. Actually, it has already used the PASSIVE MODE, I can see 'Entering passive mode...' when I use the
Code:
pkg_add -rv xorg

OK, I have searched a post which said it was caused by VMware Workstation 7.0. Now I will try another virtual machine Virtual Box. I will give the experience after using it.

OK, I have used VirtualBox 4.0.8 to install FreeBSD-8.2, and the pkg_add command works properly. It never stuck for more than two minutes (I guess). But I still don't know why FreeBSD-8.2 installed under VMware has this annoying problem.

I also had/have a similar problem with pkg_add getting stuck like that on a non virtual system. From what I could tell pkg_add pipes the download directly into bsdtar, so it's uncompressing/untarring it directly from the download connection instead of downloading the package entirely then untarring it. So if the connection drops, bsdtar just sits there waiting for data it's not going to get. A workaround I did was just download the package and its dependencies directly and then install it without the -r switch. Ports don't have this problem so I stick to those since my system is fast enough.

To ikreos:
Thanks for your reply. I just think that downloading a package's full dependencies is quite challenging. By the way, in my FreeBSD under VMware Workstation [cmd=]make install clean[/cmd] has also sticking problem using Ports.

I've never had a problem with ports freezing. They might stall because my connection dropped but it usually picks right back up when my connection is re-established.

Back