Output to TV without GUI ... HDMI? VGA?

I use FreeBSD 8 in a simple file server / web server sort of box. It's been headless in the closet, but when I move soon I'd like to put it near the TV. The ATI onboard video...

Code:
vgapci0@pci0:1:5:0:     class=0x030000 card=0xd0001458 chip=0x97101002 rev=0x00
hdr=0x00
    vendor     = 'ATI Technologies Inc. / Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA

...has an HDMI plug, a DVI plug, and of course a VGA output. I'd like to hook this thing up to my HDTV in case I need to play around with the console. Is there a way to use the HDMI or DVI outputs without installing a GUI? If not, can I buy a VGA -> RGB adapter, or will that not work either?

I connected it, but there's nothing. Which made me think either the output doesn't work without X, HDMI isn't supported with the driver, or I'm doing something stupid. Any ideas?

Some ATI boards have some kind of on-board automatic output detection. I've seen that on an X700, I think. After getting it switched to another output, it remained enabled. Try booting a live CD with X so you can try the outputs, and maybe xrandr(1).

1) Outputting the BIOS via HDMI works for me - so it is possible.

2) Perhaps you are having syncing issues: have you turned on the TV before booting the computer? For me, when the TV is off, the HDMI port detects this and will not turn on without a reboot, slightly annoying. Perhaps a firmware update on the TV might help.

3) Have you enabled HDMI output? Some boards are only able to output to either DVI or HDMI, not both. I have a motherboard jumper which has to be set in order to enable HDMI. If HDMI doesn't work you can get a DVI->HDMI adapter as another solution.

Back