Ori - A Secure Distributed File System

I have been looking for an offline method for synchronizing/backing up data across different devices with different operation systems without the help of a dedicated server/device. This looks promising since I am using the supported platforms. It might be interesting for others too.

From the homepage:
"Ori is a distributed file system built for offline operation and empowers the user with control over synchronization operations and conflict resolution. We provide history through light weight snapshots and allow users to verify the history has not been tampered with. Through the use of replication instances can be resilient and recover damaged data from other nodes."

- Peer-to-Peer
- Work Offline
- Secure
- Instant Access

"We currently support Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD."

There is a paper describing in detail the Ori File System.

Nukama said:
I just wrote a port for sysutils/fusefs-ori. Testers welcome!

Thanks a lot @Nukama.

May I ask, were you aware of Ori before I posted the information here on the board?

Related to the ports pkg_descr I have a suggestion to make. The existing description doesn't credit the abilities of Ori. I'd like to propose a more descriptive one. What do you think?

Original @Nukama's version:

Ori is a decentralized file store. It is designed to generically allow
one or more users to store files in a repository and provide many
sophisticate file system operations in a platform independent way.

WWW: http://ori.scs.stanford.edu

Proposed draft:

Ori is a distributed file system built for offline operation with the ability to synchronize,
and share data, verify it's authenticity, recover from disk failure, access old versions across
multiple devices. It is designed to store files decentralized in a repository and operates
peer-to-peer using secure communication channels with instant access while the data is
synchronized in the background. Currently Mac OS X, Linux, and FreeBSD are supported.

WWW: http://ori.scs.stanford.edu

Last edited by a moderator:
Back