Opera 12.00 released

vermaden said:
What features does xombrero offer that are so missed in midori? I have tried xxxterm/xombrero several times, but haven't found anything special.

I've tried midori in the past and it didn't work with too many sites that I needed it to, such as ebay and my webmail interface to work. Xombrero has worked with everything I've needed it too. Even youtube, once I set the user agent to iPad. Xombrero seems faster to me.

It takes a little getting used to after using Opera for so long, because it doesn't have a lot of the little things like a password manager. But I haven't found myself running back to Opera. I still use Opera on Windows at work though, Xombrero on windows is too buggy.

Carpetsmoker said:
Yes. I tried using a new profile directory. The problem isn't consistent, but Wikipedia almost never seems to work on the first try. [...] I'm not the only one by the way, on the Opera forums there are more people (incl. people using Opera on Windows).
This is really surprising. I use Opera at work for hours a day on Windows 7 and for a few hours at home on FreeBSD and have no problem whatsoever apart from the glitches I've mentioned in my previous post. And I browse Wikipedia almost everyday.

Browsing with Opera is as flawless here as browsing with Firefox or Chrome.

I've been using Xombrero for the past few days, and I've found it to be pretty unstable. I've had at least 5 crashes today, the last one didn't even save my session so all my open tabs are now gone :-/
There are other things that I can't seem to get to work properly ... It looked like a promising project, but as development doesn't seem to be racing forward it's a bit of a dead end ... :-(

So the only option left is ... Firefox? meh ...

Beastie said:
This is really surprising. I use Opera at work for hours a day on Windows 7 and for a few hours at home on FreeBSD and have no problem whatsoever apart from the glitches I've mentioned in my previous post. And I browse Wikipedia almost everyday.

Browsing with Opera is as flawless here as browsing with Firefox or Chrome.

It seems to happen (way) more often at my home PC than at my work PC, but it happens at both.

Carpetsmoker said:
I've been using Xombrero for the past few days, and I've found it to be pretty unstable. I've had at least 5 crashes today, the last one didn't even save my session so all my open tabs are now gone :-/

What kind of sites? I'm just wondering because I've not had any problems with crashes and it been close to 3 or 4 months that I've been using it.

Carpetsmoker said:
There are other things that I can't seem to get to work properly ... It looked like a promising project, but as development doesn't seem to be racing forward it's a bit of a dead end ... :-(

It seems to happen (way) more often at my home PC than at my work PC, but it happens at both.

I think you should check you RAM. (It really sounds like that)

Carpetsmoker said:
Many pages often don't load properly since Opera 12.10. I've noticed this problem on two different machines (both running FreeBSD).
Can you give a link to these pages? I see Wikipedia is one?

I have contacts at Opera who I can ask about the problem. Do you think it's a FreeBSD only one?

Carpetsmoker said:
The latest Firefox is really fast. I was surprised when I played with it on a decent machine a few days ago. (I have no decent machines anymore.) But I totally understand the Opera love.

Just reiterating, here...
No problems with the latest opera at all. Have to reload some pages though to show images, which are off by default, and toggling images on is not possible any longer before typing the url (for some reason). *One* site is unbearably slow and I'm forced to use seamonkey (never seems to finish loading visibly), but it never worked well.

roddierod said:
What kind of sites? I'm just wondering because I've not had any problems with crashes and it been close to 3 or 4 months that I've been using it.

A bunch of different sites, I don't have an exact list. The musicpd wiki seems to freeze xombrero consistently. Here's the bug report I made.

I think the problem is webkit-gtk -- I used Midori this morning, and so far it's crashed a few times already :-/

graudeejs said:
I think you should check you RAM. (It really sounds like that)

All problems encountered are encountered on both my FreeBSD desktop at home & at work, while I didn't run memtest, I think we can assume the hardware is fine.

drhowarddrfine said:
Can you give a link to these pages? I see Wikipedia is one?

I have contacts at Opera who I can ask about the problem. Do you think it's a FreeBSD only one?

I created a bug report, but as with all bugreports I send to Opera the feedback is zilch.
If you look at the forums and/or the comment box on the release announcement, then I see quite a few people with problems similar to mine. Some on Windows.

drhowarddrfine said:
The latest Firefox is really fast. I was surprised when I played with it on a decent machine a few days ago. (I have no decent machines anymore.) But I totally understand the Opera love.

The problem isn't speed, the problem is the lack of ... well, pretty much anything like proper keyboard navigation, proper search, decent debugger, and I can go on and on ...
Sure, I can install 20 extensions to `solve' this, but extensions are Javascript, which are zillion times slower than `native' features, and then Firefox does become slow.

graudeejs said:
Yup, it doesn't work in 12.11.
Works fine in 12.10.

Whats weird is that it works if you create a new profile,# opera -pd /tmp/operabut stops working if you restart Opera.

If you find a reproducible bug you should report it.

As for me, it's working fine. I can copy/paste between Opera and any other application as well as within Opera itself.

Beastie said:
If you find a reproducible bug you should report it.

As for me, it's working fine. I can copy/paste between Opera and any other application as well as within Opera itself.
I did twice. One for 12.10 and 12.11.

I'm using FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 with everything off in Opera.
Code:
uname -a
FreeBSD Toast 9.1-RC3 FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 #3: Sun Nov  4 04:13:31 PST 2012     root@Toast:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386

I've an old PocketPC on which I'm using Opera mobile. Considering the limited memory of the device, the browser is quite good.

Toast said:
Anyone else having trouble with copy and pasting in Opera 12.10 / 12.11? :\

For me, Opera 12.10 + 12.11 were both crashing when I attempted to paste an address (or, presumably, any other kind of string) into the URL bar. Switching from the GTK toolkit to the X11 toolkit resolved that crash, but I was still encountering crashes on certain sites, such as Xbox.com. I put it down to misconfiguration my part, but perhaps not.

Oh, and I also run into a bug where images simply refused to load on certain sites...

Copy/paste working fine here.
Code:
about:opera
Opera/9.80 (X11; FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE i386) Presto/2.12.388 Version/12.10
Code:
uname -a
FreeBSD raptor.signal11.ro 9.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 9.1-PRERELEASE #0: Sat Nov  3 23:41:31 EET 2012     dclau@raptor.signal11.ro:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/RAPTOR  i386
However, Opera crashes every time I attempt to upload an image via http (tinypic, imageshack etc). The only commandline switch I use is -nomail. I will wait for 12.12 release, til then I can live with this version.

Chaning the following lines in ~/.opera/operaprefs.ini fixes copy and paste for me. (12.10) :e
Code:
Max Global History Lines=0 --> Max Global History Lines=1000
Visited Pages=0            --> Visited Pages=1

Back