Nvidia resume unreliable

Have you found suspend from terminal more reliable?

• Yes, not a problem! 👍

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it isn't, no resume after suspend! 👎

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Regardless if it does work or not, I've never suspended! 🫵

Votes: 4 80.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hi folks,

recently the Nvidia driver is quite capricious and 50% of the time decides to not resume from suspend.
I do suspend through XFC4 actions but perhaps is preferable using other methods more reliable… 🤷‍♂️

acpiconf -s 3 or in short zzz

Edit: There are some things that don't do well with suspend/resume, like a running virtualbox. Maybe this is the cause of your issues?

Which version of FreeBSD, exactly?

freebsd-version -kru ; uname -aKU

the Nvidia driver

Which one?

What's the hardware?

Packages from quarterly, or latest?

pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled -e priority

50% of the time decides to not resume

I never had that problem.

Code:
% pkg iinfo nvidia
linux-nvidia-libs-470-470.161.03
nvidia-driver-470-470.161.03
nvidia-settings-470.86_1
nvidia-xconfig-525.116.04
% freebsd-version -kru ; uname -aKU
15.0-CURRENT
15.0-CURRENT
15.0-CURRENT
FreeBSD mowa219-gjp4-zbook-freebsd 15.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 15.0-CURRENT #4 main-n266415-257b04454818-dirty: Wed Nov 15 22:43:15 GMT 2023     grahamperrin@mowa219-gjp4-8570p-freebsd:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC-NODEBUG amd64 1500003 1500003
% pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled -e priority
    url             : "http://pkg0.fra.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:15:amd64/latest",
    enabled         : yes,
    priority        : 2,
    url             : "pkg+https://pkg.freebsd.org/FreeBSD:15:amd64/base_latest",
    enabled         : no,
    priority        : 0,
    url             : "file:///usr/local/poudriere/data/packages/main-default",
    priority        : 3
%

I can't vote here, none of the three options matches my situation.

I am using the same drivers for my rtx 2060 and did not notice this. Then again, I am using mate

grahamperrin I forgot to mention that is a 17" laptop...

Code:
% pkg iinfo nvidia
nvidia-driver-535.104.05_1
nvidia-settings-470.86_1
nvidia-xconfig-525.116.04

% freebsd-version -kru ; uname -aKU
14.0-RELEASE
14.0-RELEASE
14.0-RELEASE
FreeBSD dbsd 14.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 14.0-RELEASE #0 releng/14.0-n265380-f9716eee8ab4: Fri Nov 10 05:57:23 UTC 2023     root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64 1400097 1400097

% pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled -e priority
    url             : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:14:amd64/quarterly",
    priority        : 0,

grahamperrin

Nice!

When the resume fails the LED are on as it was turned on but the screen is still power off. Playing with the lid doesn't do any magic, the only solution is forcing the laptop to power off.

Did you try to suspend the way I recommended, or do you still do it via the xfce menus?
I don't recommend the latter method, as in my experience it does not work reliably.

When the resume fails the LED are on as it was turned on but the screen is still power off. Playing with the lid doesn't do any magic, the only solution is forcing the laptop to power off.

Something to try:

Open a console then
Code:
# su  -l
# acpiconf -s3

From suspended state, resume by opening the lid, dabbing the power button or whatever works normally.

If it resumes but screen is blank, type something that shows whether the system is live, like 'shutdown -r now' or 'ls -R ~'

So you (and we) know if it's just a video issue, or some other issue stopping resume ... there are others possible.

If not definitive, repeat from a vt outside of X.

Did you try to suspend the way I recommended, or do you still do it via the xfce menus?
I don't recommend the latter method, as in my experience it does not work reliably.
I usually use the method from Xfce action menu...

smithi of course now everything is working fine... I have to suspend with your method and see what happens after a while, like a couple of hours or an entire night.

When I using x11-wm/leftwm under X11, zzz works pretty well. It can resume everything after I press the power button.

Which freebsd-version? and
Which make/model system?

Success or failure of suspend & resume depends upon both, but mostly the latter.

On modern (i.e. post-y2k) ACPI systems, zzz runs
acpiconf -s3
(see sh script /usr/sbin/zzz)

Which freebsd-version? and
Which make/model system?

Success or failure of suspend & resume depends upon both, but mostly the latter.

On modern (i.e. post-y2k) ACPI systems, zzz runs
acpiconf -s3
(see sh script /usr/sbin/zzz)
1. FreeBSD 13-STABLE
2. Build from source, both /usr/src and ports.

Yeah, it's sure the acpiconf -s3.

smithi

Resume did not survived the overnight.
This morning when I woke up the computer all the LED on, including the keyboard, no screen, no sign of any disk activity. Before to wake up the laptop I plugged in the power supply.

It looks like after a couple hours it goes in deep sleep and then it is unable to resume.
Well I don't know actually... 🤷

1. FreeBSD 13-STABLE
2. Build from source, both /usr/src and ports.

Yeah, it's sure the acpiconf -s3.

Ok, sure, but what make and model is your hardware?

Without knowing that, any comparison between yours and the "2016 System76 Serval" that freezr is apparently running, is unlikely to be much help.

Ok, sure, but what make and model is your hardware?

Without knowing that, any comparison between yours and the "2016 System76 Serval" that freezr is apparently running, is unlikely to be much help.
Mine is general pc, x86_64 with amd cpu and nvidia gpu. I'm not familiar with System76.

Mine is general pc, x86_64 with amd cpu and nvidia gpu. I'm not familiar with System76.

Me neither. I'm also not familar with the General brand :)

Can you point to the website, especially to your model / mboard / CPU / BIOS etc?

Working suspend/resume is still comparatively rare, apart from generalities like 'most ThinkPads', so your data may be useful for others?

Me neither. I'm also not familar with the General brand :)

Can you point to the website, especially to your model / mboard / CPU / BIOS etc?

Working suspend/resume is still comparatively rare, apart from generalities like 'most ThinkPads', so your data may be useful for others?
Ok, actually I do not understand what model means. Here is other info:

1. mboard, asus x570e;
2. cpu, amd 5900x;
3. BIOS, version 4802;
4. gpu, nvidia 3060ti;
5. nvme, kioxia RD500 with zfs which the whole system runs on.

Back