no X because Failed to load module "amdgpu"

Hello everyone,
I am attempting to get into FreeBSD but so far it has not been going well. I finally managed to get a booting installation on the third machine i tried it on, but now I am breaking my teeth on Xorg. I am a seasoned linuxer and I thought I could handle it but I am so lost right now.
I did follow the handbook for Xorg, installed the module, added the kld_list line to rc.conf, and then got into creating a config. First I tried in the way that the handbook described, with minimal config, and got the Failed to load module error. Then I tried Xorg -configure and got an error that it can’t find /dev/dri/card0 which is somehow worse. So then I copied the xorg.conf from my previous Linux installation and tried to use that, and got the same error as at the start.

this is the Xorg log:

I am at my wit’s end. I can’t do much more than install the module and try to use it, can I?
This is a Radeon RX 6500 XT

I did follow the handbook for Xorg, installed the module, added the kld_list line to rc.conf,
Is the module actually loaded? Just installing and adding it to kld_list won't automagically load it. You will need to reboot or load the module by hand.

Code:
[  5551.960] (==) Using config file: "/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
rm -f /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf

i did reboot and i did check kldstat. it’s loaded alright. if i try without an xorg.conf i get
(EE) open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory

I think the root source of the problem is that my card is not on this list

I don’t have firmware for it (would need navi24, can’t find anything like that with pkg search)

I think I have to upgrade to 14 somehow and then figure out where to get the right firmware… Oh well, it’s a challenge, isn’t it

Back