No internet suddenly... a true mystery..?

Dear, FreeBSD community,

I have been successfully getting internet for the past 2 months on my Freebsd (13.1 release) old laptop.

I use ethernet connection only. I am a little worried because I see absolutely no reason for my internet connection to go down, I hope it's not too bad :S

- Ping 0.0.0.0: 56 data bytes, 5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100,0% packet loss
- if config re0: ether good, inet 192.XXX;X.XX good, netmask 0xffff.... good, broadcast good, status: active
- rc conf: ifconfig_re0="SYNCDHCP"
- I type : ifconfig re0 down. No answer (my prompt just goes to the following line). ifconfig re0 up. No answer (my prompt just goes to the following line).
- I ping my re0's default gateway as shown in netstat -rn it works fine, 0% packet loss.
- I dont know if it's useful but I ping my re0's inet's full address and it works fine 0% packet loss.
- When I pciconf, I do get re0@pci0:6:0:0: (Realtek ... device RTL810xE PCI express fast ethernet controller)
- I use the same ethernet cable, plugged onto the same port in my modem, and plug it into a windows laptop, I get internet (so no problem with my modem or cable).
- I go to my resolv.conf. I see "nameserver 8.8.8.8" and "options edn0". I change the nameserver to 1.1.1.1 or even my default gateway which works when I ping it and still no internet
- I do not have a firewall on the laptop
- tried to have static IP but still not working
- Desktop environment: LXQT

Could it be a hardware problem ? Or does my ISP somewhat block this particular computer ? Or is it really something that I can troubleshoot ?
If you have any ideas how to troubleshoot this, I would be immensely grateful.

Kind regards,

Curious, something similar in my case, but with the wifi card... one day after the update to 13.2 RELEASE, my connection has been lost. With the same rc.conf, wpa_supplicant.conf and loader.conf, one day was working fine, and the next day... nothing. Wifi card (Atheros) can detect the SSID of the network, but it doesn't connect... ifconfing gives «SSID ""» ... «no carrier»

I've checked, the conf files and regdomain; the handbook; ifconfig has no problem to detect the access point, but seems that it can't connect. Honestly, I'm out of ideas.

I type : ifconfig re0 down. No answer (my prompt just goes to the following line). ifconfig re0 up. No answer (my prompt just goes to the following line).
It's not supposed to give any feedback. No response is good, it means it got applied without issues, i.e. no errors.

I ping my re0's default gateway as shown in netstat -rn it works fine, 0% packet loss.
That means networking works. At least from the FreeBSD machine's point of view. Can you ping something outside your LAN, 8.8.8.8 for example? If that fails the issue is on your gateway, which I presume is your ISP's modem.

SirDIce ! The legend of this forum, saw your name many times when trying to troubleshoot my own issues !

Tried something new this morning ! When I ping something like google.com or nytimes.com I get an answer !!!

So I don't know what the hell happened, maybe something with my browser ? (firefox)

I am going to try and install another browser to see if this is the problem ?

Kind regards,

saw your name many times when trying to troubleshoot my own issues !
Yeah, with 40000+ posts to my name you're bound to see one :D

"No internet" can mean many different things. The most important factor is basic IP connectivity. You were on the right track when diagnosing the issue. Always try to ping the default gateway, if that works then your (local) network connection works. Next you try to ping something that's outside your local subnet. That tests if things get routed through the gateway. If all that works you can test DNS for name resolving, drill(1) is your friend. DNS uses UDP and TCP so it requires a functioning network first.

Thank you so much !
So in the end, it's my firefox that crashes for an unknown reason, but this issue is not related to this forum !
My newly installed falkon browser works fine.
Good luck to you all !

Somewhat similar to the first post, DHCP is obtained from a wired connection during boot handily from the back box of booting [ I previously used the ifconfig* route_add* pair to obtain the same result. ] However, the identical [ rsync backup ] disks do not obtain the lease. As I conjecture about four files are involved and they are obviously copied during the system backup, someone expert ??

However, the identical [ rsync backup ] disks do not obtain the lease.
So service dhclient restart re0 (change the interface for your situation) appears to send out requests but doesn't get a response?

Back