NFS Server hangs after a period of inactivity or heavy IO activity

I have a nfsv3 share exported from a FreeBSD host, and everything seems to run good unless I transfer some huge files or there's a period of inactivity. On the occasion of either, my client machine completely hangs up, leaving me with no other options other than to do a force reboot. I have noticed that this issue only happens on Linux clients, on macOS this issue is nonexistent.

If it helps, my linux client is Gentoo and this is the command I am using to mount the exported shares

Code:
mount NASBOX:/NFSSHARE DIR

There's a contradiction between subject and description, subject says "nfs server hangs" (which is FreeBSD), description says "client machine hangs up" (which is linux); so which one exactly?

There's a contradiction between subject and description, subject says "nfs server hangs" (which is FreeBSD), description says "client machine hangs up" (which is linux); so which one exactly?
You're right. My bad. The client machine hangs up.

So it's linux hanging, right? In that case even if it's some bug or misconfiguration on FreeBSD side, real problem is somewhere else, and it's better discussed on relevant linux resources?

So it's linux hanging, right? In that case even if it's some bug or misconfiguration on FreeBSD side, real problem is somewhere else, and it's better discussed on relevant linux resources?
Yes. For the time being, I have shifted to just using NFS V4, and it seems alright for now. If the issue persists, I will see what I can do with the client machine.

Back