New to FreeBSD

Hey guys,

First of all thank you for receiving me in your community. This is fantastic OS and I finally made the move to FreeBSD. I got some issues though and I'd like some help to finish my set up.

I installed KDE 4 successfully though there are somethings not working, or at least no properly. HAL does not startup automatically I need to do it manually every time I start up my computer, even though it's set up in rc.conf.

Also once I'm logged in and KDE is started if I open terminal, close it and open again it, it would not work, I can't manage to reopen terminal I need to reboot. And last but not least I can't setup my screen resolution.

My system is:
  • Intel Pentium D 930
  • Intel GMA 950 (VGA 1400x900 Display Connected)
  • Intel 945G Chipset
  • 1 GB 533 MHz RAM
  • 40 GB SATA HDD

Oh and I'd like some advice. Is there a way to install Google Chrome, or what stable web browser that support HTML5 would you recommend for FreeBSD with KDE 4.

Thanks in advance,
Colin

tiuno said:
HAL does not startup automatically I need to do it manually every time I start up my computer, even though it's set up in rc.conf
Show us yours /etc/rc.conf. How do you start hald manually?

Oh and I'd like some advice. Is there a way to install Google Chrome, or what stable web browser that support HTML5 would you recommend for FreeBSD with KDE 4.

I am using www/chromium, open source base of Google's Chrome browser.

Code:
hostname=""
keymap="us.iso.kbd"
ifconfig_re0="DHCP"
ifconfig_re0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
sshd_enable="YES"
moused_enable="YES"
ntpd_enable="YES"
powerd_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
local_startup="${local_startup} /usr/local/kde4/etc/rc.d"
kdm4_enable="YES"
# Set dumpdev to "AUTO" to enable crash dumps, "NO" to disable
dumpdev="AUTO"

That's my rc.conf file.

Have a look at /var/log/messages. Any reasons why HAL won't start will be mentioned there.

Code:
Jan  1 00:01:11  kernel: pid 1855 (hald), uid 560: exited on signal 11
Jan  1 00:01:11  kernel: pid 1856 (hald), uid 560: exited on signal 11
That's all I could find.

Signal 11 means it's crashing. Did you install from packages or ports?

You can try. Also make sure you don't use any CFLAGS or similar in /etc/make.conf.

I am going start from scratch, so hope it works. As for the terminal or video settings do you have any advice?

Back