Nameing of Disk Partition/Slices

FreeBSD seems to use 2 types of names for disk partitions.
I am recovering and rebuilding from a partition failure or corruption,
slices that were formerly labeled

ad0s1a ; ad0s1b ; ad0s1c ; ad0s1d ; ad0s1e ; ad0s1f

now appear as

ad0a ; ; ad0c ; ad0d ; ad0e ; ad0f

I was of the impression that these had to do with SCSI disks renaming [CAM] but the disk involved is an IDE. Is this likely to cause any problems?

Those appear when the drive is setup without a partition table, aka dangerously dedicated mode. Don't worry - there's nothing dangerous about it if the drive is dedicated to FreeBSD usage. Should be all good!

jaymax said:
I was of the impression that these had to do with SCSI disks renaming [CAM] but the disk involved is an IDE
SCSI is da*

jaymax said:
ad0a ; ; ad0c ; ad0d ; ad0e ; ad0f
What aragon mentioned:
Slices, “dangerously dedicated” physical drives, and other drives contain partitions, which are represented as letters from a to h. This letter is appended to the device name, so “da0a” is the a partition on the first da drive, which is “dangerously dedicated”.
(Source)

Also,
Unlike UNIX® drives, Vinum does not partition volumes, which thus do not contain a partition table.
[...]
For example, a disk drive may have a name like /dev/ad0a or /dev/da2h.
(Source)

Hey dude
I am also facing the same problem man what the hell is that...x(x(x( well i want to know that why this operating system use 2 names for the partitions man...for what purpose man:stud:stud:stud:stud actually i am a student and i follow CISSP and the thing is that i started using this OS....now i am also facing so many starnge problems :r

Back