Solved make: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1204: UNAME_r (14.0-RELEASE-p3) and OSVERSION (1302001) do not agree on major version number.

root@videotron:/usr/ports/security/openssl # make
make: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1204: UNAME_r (14.0-RELEASE-p3) and OSVERSION (1302001) do not agree on major version number.

make: stopped in /usr/ports/security/openssl
You have new mail.
root@videotron:/usr/ports/security/openssl #

to assist in solving the issue:
root@videotron:/usr/ports/security/openssl # freebsd-version -kru
14.0-RELEASE-p3
14.0-RELEASE-p3
14.0-RELEASE-p4
root@videotron:/usr/ports/security/openssl #

portsnap done recently worked like a charm...

make.conf

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= python=3.11
CRYPTOGRAPHY_OPENSSL_NO_LEGACY=1

just waiting on make install clean at /usr/ports/

SOLVED thank you Darius:

solution : curl https://download.freebsd.org/releases/amd64/14.0-RELEASE/base.txz | sudo tar zxvf - -C / ./usr/include

to verify solution worked : root@videotron:~ # grep __FreeBSD_version /usr/include/sys/param.h * __FreeBSD_version numbers are documented in the Porter's Handbook. * __FreeBSD_version is bumped every time there's a change in the base system * awk '/^\#define[[:space:]]*__FreeBSD_version/ {print $3}'#undef __FreeBSD_version#define __FreeBSD_version 1400097root@videotron:~ #

Code:
root@videotron:~ # freebsd-version -kru
14.0-RELEASE-p3
14.0-RELEASE-p3
14.0-RELEASE-p4
root@videotron:~ #
I am still getting the mismatch version although I am not sure the consequence.

I am still getting the mismatch version although I am not sure the consequence.
There is no mismatch. P4 only involved some userland libraries and executables. No changes to the kernel were required, so the kernel wasn't updated (that would only be a cosmetic change).

see /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk

Compare /usr/include/sys/param.h (or /usr/src/sys/sys/param.h if not exists) with the output of uname -r ( sysctl kern.osrelease).
If the major versions do not match, then an error occurs.

The OP seems to have updated /usr/include with the 14.0 base.txz and then that grep is showing 1400097 as the version number in /usr/include/sys/param.h. So maybe his /usr/src is 13.x and that is where the error is coming from?

Not important, OP seems happy, just curiosity from me.

The userland_version of freebsd-version is hard-coded in /bin/freebsd-version.
In other words, it is not used in ports.
grep USERLAND_VERSION /bin/freebsd-version
Code:
USERLAND_VERSION="14.0-RELEASE-p4"
        echo $USERLAND_VERSION
I think /usr/include/sys/param.h was 13.x before expanding base.txz.

make: "/usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk" line 1204: UNAME_r (14.0-RELEASE-p3) and OSVERSION (1302001) do not agree on major version number.

Ahhh, I think I see where I'm going wrong - OP said in message #6 that they were still getting the version mismatch and I thought they were talking about the version mismatch in message #1 (as quoted above).

But as SirDice pointed out (and you have too now) - OP is talking about p3/p4 kernel/userland part in freebsd-version (which I know all about.)

Mystery solved!

Back